Unix Newbie wanting to get better

Zeigan

Registered
i started off only wanting to run gimp, but now i want to play with more of the *nix side of osx. I am very new to this. I read that fink has problems installing if gimp has already been installed(from the read me in the installer). How do i go about removing Gimp?

Anyways, after i do this and get fink working, i am sure i will have many more questions.

If you've got VPC you can pick up one of the linux distributions, some are available at newsagents for as little as $10 US. Otherwise, there are a few distributions of Linux for the Mac that you might chase up, but would have to use seperately from OS X.
I've heard good things of YellowDog linux for Mac; all of the must-have packages are already prepared to run on the PPC and it is easy to install, but, unlike Fink or VPC, you have to boot into a different OS.
These options would be worthwhile if you want to get most of the open-source software out there to muck around with. If all you want is to get a few specific apps, then Fink is a good way to go. Somebody here will be able to help you a bit with that; I have tried to wade through the Fink documentation but it is a bit of heavy reading, and I'm still unsure of how Fink handles its packages.

Linux is both a little bit harder and a little bit faster than X in my opinion. I've been using linux for a while and I love it more than all the other Mac OS's and especcially over Winbloze. If you need any help with YDL I can give you help and forums are always a good place to go for help.

Justin

Back