Unsupported Monitor Resolution

evildan

Super Moderator
A friend of mine has a Titanium laptop, slightly newer then mine.

He can set his resolution to a higher setting then I can.

The maximum setting I have available to me is 1152 x 768. He can set his to 12-something x something.

My TiBook is the last model BEFORE Apple removed the infrared sensor, his is the first model after. (If that helps someone determine which machine I'm talking about).

Both machines are on the same version of the operating system.

Can I set my monitor to a higher resolution too? I've tried the obvious, by un-checking the show modes recommended by display checkbox.

Is this a video card thing? Or is it something I can override?

I think it's a video card thing, like you said. That can't be overridden :( I think you'll see the difference in Apple System Profiler (Apple menu/About This Mac/More Info button/devices and volumes tab You'll probably see a difference in the video hardware there.

Originally posted by DeltaMac
I think it's a video card thing, like you said. That can't be overridden :( I think you'll see the difference in Apple System Profiler (Apple menu/About This Mac/More Info button/devices and volumes tab You'll probably see a difference in the video hardware there.
Actually, I doubt it's the video hardware. If he has at least 16MB of VRAM, he should be able to support resolutions higher than what he's running at. However, his LCD is probably not as good. His LCD probably has fewer pixels than his friend's and can't handle the higher resolution.

An LCD screen has a set number of native pixels, which is the maximum resolution. If you wanted to make your resolution lower, that's not a technical problem, but your screen will come out blurry because you're trying to recreate larger pixels with smaller ones. You'll get the same thing at a higher resolution, but you wouldn't be able to read anything.

His is probably 1280x1024, which is a typical resolution. This is 5:4 instead of 4:3, which would be 1280x960.

I have a G4/400 Powerbook and the highest setting I have available is 1152 x 768.

Which model is it? Does it have the IR port (not as useful now in the age of Bluetooth)?

Old PowerBook G4 resolution: 1152 x 768
New PowerBook G4 resolution: "1280-by-854" ~ quothe the Apple web site

If you have your screen set to the highest resolution you see, that's all you can do. Apple upped the ante on the.... revision "C" (I think, not sure) PowerBook G4.

Back