Upgrade vs Archive Install

archieve will copy your user-preferences and files into another folder, while the upgrade installation will use your settings and files.
I would suggest everyone to backup the important files erase the disc and make a fresh install. By now I got the impression that the developers didn't spend so much time on making the upgrade adaptive enough.

ive done too much work on it to do that, imho. maybe I can burn all my downloads onto a dvd and clean install, but that doesnt sound too much fun.

so yeah, whats better, archive install or upgrade? dont say clean install, I already know thats the best option. I want to know the runner up.

well, then definitely archieve since your old preferences won't be used but copied into another folder and replaced by the system. I know how painful a fresh install can be but I learned that going through this is a lot better than dealing with really weird problems after an update. Or simply stick to panther if you actually don't want to touch the system. You should ask yourself if it's really worth to change a working system for a little number of eyecandies..

When I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3, on over a dozen systems that were rock steady and have given no problems I disabled all the startup items and did a straight upgrade install. On the last system, just to see if I could tell the difference I did an archive install. The end result was the archive install took a little longer to get everything back up and running but other than that -- there was not and has not been any detectable difference in performance or stability between the upgrade and archive installs. That is to say that all the systems have been rock solid and I have not had an unexpected quit in any application, until iGetter 2 and Safari 1.3 starting butting heads after the 10.3.9 update. Removing iGetter until it is updated solved that problem however.

I suspect I will do the same thing when my Tiger DVD arrives. If your system has been stable and trouble free, I see no reason not to take the easy road and do an upgrade install. Just be sure to:

1. Use Disk Utility, DiskWarrior, or TechTool Pro to be sure the file system on the target drive is in good health
  2. Run permission repair before and after the upgrade
  3. Disable all startup items before upgrading
  4. Remove all USB and firewire devices except the keyboard and mouse -- that includes firewire hard drives unless that is the target volume
  5. Most important of all have a recent and complete, preferably bootable, backup of the entire target volume. There is little chance this will be needed, but far better safe than sorry. You can't go back later and do the backup if a disaster should occur.
But that is just my opinion. :D

IMHO and the way I do it! I never early adopt... always wait for the first or second fix. I have 3 internal HDs named Classic, Jaguar, Panther and I'm getting ready to wipe Jaguar and name it Tiger (I even have the appropiate textured Icons to go with them). Now ON TOPIC: It's been my experience (since OS7) that the upgrade option usually works best for most normal people, and Tiger comes with a new upgrade wizard. Archive install doesn't seem to be worth the trouble over a clean sweep, and it has givening me headaches whenever I did try it. If you setup yours, like mine above, you can slowly migrate to the new system. In any case, Professor101's preliminary install advice above should always be your top concern when upgrading.

I'm supposed to have a bootable backup of 20 gigs?

But yeah, disable startups and run upgrade, got it.

One question though: when do you think the first bug-fixing update will be out? If its within a very short (read: like 2 weeks or less), I may just wait.

Scottfab said:
One question though: when do you think the first bug-fixing update will be out? If its within a very short (read: like 2 weeks or less), I may just wait.

It's a good bet, seeing the problem on MacFitIt, that an incremental bug fix will show in that time, but I wouldn't bank on this. If you need to upgrade this soon, then do it now, use the installer wizard and bite your fingernails.

Scottfab said:
I'm supposed to have a bootable backup of 20 gigs?

But yeah, disable startups and run upgrade, got it.

Why not a bootable backup of 20 GBs, I have a bootable backup of a 120 GB drive, a 180 GB drive and a 30 GB drive.

As far as the first bug fix update, if it follows the pattern of the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 that will probably be in three or four months -- maybe longer. It all depends. There was one update of a Jaguar update not the initial 10.1 to 10.2 upgrade, as I recall it was 10.2.7 or 10.2.8, that came out only a couple of weeks after the release of the previous update but that was because of unanticipated compatibility issues with code optimized for the just released G5 PowerMacs and the older G4 and G3 machines. Tiger has been thoroughly tested on G3s, G4s, and G5s.

Perfessor, its not like I have a spare external hard drive handy. I have my DVD burner, thats it. What I can do is burn my downloads onto a dvd and hope for the best. I'll lose iLife, and the things that come with it like the calculator or stickies, but otherwise it'll be ok.

my situatioin is this: i have 2 80GB hdds (1 internal, one lacie porsche usb2). the boot disk has panther on it and about 40gb to spare. also on there is a lot of apps that i don't have the cd for, but could be attainable, but it turns into a major pain in the arse (a trip to london). the other disk has 60gb of music, mostly not backed up. nothing is backed up. i don't have the funds to back-up. i need an internal 250gb. when i get £90....

so: what do i do? i get the feeling my system has slowed down since i got it, so i would like to do a clean install, and get it to be a new computer again. obviously this is not viable right now....

So: upgrade or archive? does archive pretty much do a clean install without any formatting? fresh .plists and settings, reset dock etc, but not actually deleteing anything? very noob

Lt Major Burns said:
so: what do i do? i get the feeling my system has slowed down since i got it, so i would like to do a clean install, and get it to be a new computer again. obviously this is not viable right now....

So: upgrade or archive? does archive pretty much do a clean install without any formatting? fresh .plists and settings, reset dock etc, but not actually deleteing anything? very noob

You are not in an enviable position. If I were you, I would do much of the basic maintnenance and troubleshooting indicated here1 and here2. Then, I would update to Tiger using Archive and Install. Overall, I think fewer have problems with Archive and Install than Update. If you use Archive and Install, then you probably also will want to use Preserve User and Network Settings.

I archive installed when I had to fix Panther. It's irritating. i'm just gonna upgrade and hope for the best.

Back