Upgrading a B&W G3

MrNivit1

Registered
Hello all,
I am looking to upgrade my G3's CPU with a ZIF G4. What's the best option (Mhz per $) for upgrading the system and still remaining compatible with 10.2? Is this the best route to go in speeding up the system? Thanks.

OWC (OtherWorldComputing) has a great, reasonably-inexpensive G4 Zif - and all the info to go with it. Including the firmware update you need to run a G4 on a B&W G3.

Go Here

is there a benefit to choosing a G4 over a G3? (i.e. is altivec used heavily in 10.2 and is getting a G4 worth that extra gain in speed?)

When I upgraded my B&W 350 to a G4 400 I noticed a fairly significant speed increase in Jag. My main reason for getting the G4 was for making SVCDs. MPEG-2 encoding is excruciatingly slow even on a fast G3.

The G4 is faster overall anyways in math or incredibly CPU-intensive operations, like Photoshop, or any other graphics/video program. If I were you, I'd just save for a new computer and sell your G3, the motherboard of your computer would probably severely impact the speed gained, and it's best to get something more up-to-date.

Back