USB 2.0 Drive and Tiger

WeeZer51402

Registered
I was just wondering if it would be a good idea or not to install tiger or any version of OS X on a USB 2.0 drive. How much would this hurt performance?
Thanks,
Mike

Um, you HAVE Tiger?

I'd say it's a good idea to install beta operating systems on an external drive to avoid messing up your existing installation.

As I understand it, USB 2.0 drivers under OS X aren't optimized very well. Performance isn't the greatest with USB 2.0. Has anyone had experience with USB 2.0 drives?

Doug

agreed or at least on a seperate partition, I'm just worried about performance issues with tiger. When panther was in the beta stage I actually used it as my primary system as scary as it was at times it worked out ok. I'd rather install it on my sata drive so it would perform better but oh well I'll see how it goes, the other thing I would like to avoid is screwing up my current installation but I suppose I could create a image store it on the usb 2.0 drive then partition then restore it. Anybody have any bad experiences restoring from an image?

I don't know yet...I think the better solution would be to archive my current install and to partition my HDD and then restore from my current install.

Maybe a silly question BUT! when will Tiger be on general release (im in the UK) and does anyone know the cost for an upgrade from Panther?

Tiger is supposed to be released in the first half of 2005. It's not an upgrade. It will most likely cost $129.00 US.

Not 'most likely': Apple has already said so publicly. 129$. And whether you see that as an upgrade or retail price doesn't really matter, as everyone who uses a Mac that can run Tiger already _has_ a license for Mac OS.

About using Tiger as your primary OS: I wouldn't just yet. Wait for the next build or so. I've been doing it (betas as primary OS) for years. With a good backup plan, that's going to be okay most of the time, but as long as too many incompatibilities throw you back to Panther, it's not worth it. I hear the 8A2xx builds are quite good, and I'm certainly going to try the 8Bxx builds as my primary OS again... Mostly because Spotlight only makes sense when actually using it with real data...

Back