Usb Connected Device Not Registering On Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware & Peripherals' started by Oriole, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Oriole

Oriole
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

I'm trying to transfer two programmes from my Mac to a MS Surface 3 tablet with Windows 10.

I've encountered an internet access problem on the tablet that seems to have something to do with my Kaspersky anti-virus / Internet Security utility. They've told me I need one of their uninstaller utilities which I've had to download to my Mac, intending to transfer it to my Surface using a USB cable.

I connected the two, using a USB2 cable (my Mac's capacity; the tablet has USB3), but no icon appeared on my desktop. I checked there was nothing wrong with my Macs' USB port; it works with other devices, such as a backup HD resulting in an appropriate icon on my desktop. But with my Surface 3, nothing.

I've also tried using a USB stick, which registers as a USB disk in my tablet's 'Connected Devices' which, I understand, is the EFI(D: ) drive that appears on the tablet Desktop. But I'm told its empty when I click on it (actually there's two, but they both say the same!). It's not a file type problem; both programmes have .exe extensions that my Mac hastened to assure me could not be opened "because Microsoft Windows applications are not supported on OSX".

I'm lost from this point on . . .

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Rosie Moderator
    Staff Member Mod

Your best bet is to use the USB stick, but it has to be formatted for the Surface to recognize the files on it. Put the stick on the Mac, then open Disk Utility. Allow it time to list all your drives on the Mac, then select the USB stick and click on Erase. You need to select MS-DOS (Fat) as the format. Once the stick has been reformatted, you can quit Disk Utility and now drag and drop the uninstaller utilities to the newly formatted stick.

Once the transfer of the file is complete, you can eject the stick from the Mac. You should be able to load it on the Surface and see the exe file.

Oriole likes this.
  3. Oriole

Oriole
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Doh!

I mean . . . I knew this once upon a time . . . must be senility consolidating itself.

Thank you once again for your guidance.