Using Type 1 fonts in OSX

neuroman

Faithfull Mac USer
I'm wondering, how exactly to use my existing Postscript fonts on MacOSX - since there is no ATM, how to proceed. Also, are fonts for OSX and Classic different at all - I mean, what about TrueType...

Feedback appreciated. :)

You can use all fonts from old Mac OS in X.
You don't need ATM anymore for PS fonts. In fact, you didn't need it in OS 9.

OS X also can use PC ttf Fonts, and these new Open Fonts or however they are named.

I suppose you meant Adobe-Microsoft standard OpenType fonts :). But I'm not certain that I don't need ATM in Classic OS....

Unfortunately ATM does not and will not ever exist on MacOS. Adobe have ceased to produce it.

Extensis Suitcase 10.1 is now out for OSX is very good. Goto www.extensis.com

;)

Originally posted by neuroman
But I'm not certain that I don't need ATM in Classic OS....
yeah, I am also not certain, but so I was told by someone who should know... :)

You only will need Suitcase if you want to make sets of fonts for different projects or something like that. Mac OS X can handle as many fonts as you can get, AFAIK.

You can also make your own sets in OS X (try the font menu in Text Edit, you can make your own sets there), but this is a little limited.
I think this is also limited to Cocoa programs.

I used ATM all the time in 9 for font sets, yes, but also to turn on WYSIWYG font menus. If ATM isn't coming to X, what else can do this? :confused:

hmm... Maybe Apple could actually put it into the core of 10.2?

I would like them to have an option to be able to turn it on/off in sys prefs though!

Off to the feedback board...

I hated WYSIWYG font menus.

But didn't Suitcase have MenuFonts (their equivalent way of implementing WYSIWYG)?

It doesn't appear to be in 10.1

So, I should trash ATM 4.6.2 then... btw, NO DOWNLOADABLE DEMO available on Extensis site for Suitcase 10.1...

just follow the download form to the 10.1 download. It's a 14mb download, if you don't input the code it becomes a demo.

By the way, I had no luck seeing OpenType fonts (copied from Windows XP) to work....Extensis claims that Suitcase 10 support this kind of fonts:

"Suitcase 10 now supports Windows font formats such as OpenType and Windows Truetype fonts. Also supports Apple's new dfont format. "

I will wait to install & see whether I NEED Suitcase to use OpenType, because until now they're unavailable in native OSX.

One thing: do you know any editor that alows you to create .dfont files? Just curious

Does anyone know about using PostScript fonts or TrueType fonts in Classic? I've got Suitcase 10, which works great for activating fonts in 10.1 as well as Classic, but when I try to use some of the fonts in a Classic program (Fireworks for instance), it doesn't show up right at all. Not even jagged, just a completely different, generic font. It's like Classic isn't able to render the vectors of the font, so it just uses some generic thing (perhaps a remnant of the ATM extra fonts?).

Any clues?

It's really irritating, I'm this close to being fully X-ed.:confused:

Hello there.

The folks at Diamond Soft are readying an X-compliant version of Font Reserve, which I have been using instead of ATM Deluxe for years on Classic Mac OS.

Will these new version of FontReserve let me use my Multiple Master fonts
in Mac OS X? This is a big issue for me and would almost guarantee that I'd
purchase it. I tried out Suitcase, but it's no help with my MM fonts.

Will these new version of FontReserve let me use my Multiple Master fonts

Sorry...I do not have a definite answer to that question. You'd have to ask them .

However, the OS 9 version of Font Reserve does in fact support MM fonts. There's no information indicating the OS X version's feature set will change, but who knows if there is some kind of OS-level liability they can't work around or something?

I just mentioned FR because no one else here had mentioned it (and I hate Suitcase and ATM). Font Reserve is kinda neat; it creates a database of all your fonts so you can quickly sort them by foundry, style, etc. And, of course, it gives you detailed, printable previews, and lets you manage font sets and so on.

I don't know what (if any) features they will add in the OS X version, but my best guess is that it'll be ready in a couple of weeks at Macworld (they had actually originally said late fall).

OS X is almost awesome with the new font handling features:

native support for postscript, yeah!
native support for Windows truetype fonts, yeah!
Always on, but not always hogging RAM, yeah!
Opentype support (don't underestimate how awesome this technology is), yeah!

But it's crippled by the simple fact that you must drop fonts at the root directory of the library folder instead of being able to sub-categorize. I have all of my fonts organized in folders like Serif/Display/Sans Serif/Caps, etc. and then another folder for the printer and screen version if postscript. OS X makes me float the fonts in one big giant list with no organization whatsoever. Sometimes screen and printer fonts are titled differently, so they end up separating alphabetically. Total mess. Just let me drop in any folder, named anything I want, with any number of levels to the folder and as long as there's a font in it, then OS X should figure it out for me in the app.

I've always used ATM Deluxe because it has system-wide auto activation, which no other font manager has. Font reserve requires plug-ins for a limited list of apps (albeit, critical ones). Auto-activation is critical, andthe fact that Suitcase 10 can't pull this off in X is highly irritating. Why on earth should I have to go tell Suitcase to activate a font when an application calls for it? Worse yet, some apps (Textedit) wasn't even smart enough to alert me to a missing font from a previously saved document, it instead just substitued a font. Bad, very bad.

I would switch to Font Reserve in a second if it had auto-activate in X for InDesign & Illustrator. Still, I'll live with manual activation if Opentype catches on. Opentype is fantastic.

Back