Full Screen On My Secondary Monitor

Dan klim

Registered
Hi,

I’m trying to make a youtube video go full screen on my secondary monitor, but it won’t work- it always switches to go full screen on my main iMac screen (and/or sometimes makes the other screen black and unusable). Could you please help?

Its not just youtube either- I just tried it with an Evernote window and it made it full screen on the secondary monitor, but it made the iMac screen completely black. Happens with all applications I think. I’ve searched online and it seems a lot of people have had this issue, but I can’t find a fix. How can I make full screen work right on second monitor?

Thanks, Dan

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

I have noticed, particularly if you use Safari, full screen always takes over BOTH monitors defeating the whole purpose of having two monitors: allowing you to watch a video in FULL EPIC SCREEN while surfing for French plant por . . . er . . . working . . . working on your other screen.

Solution?

Depends on the browser and application. Since you mention Youtube, let me stick with that. There is no easy solution. However, you can get around it.

On Safari you need Tampermonkey to run Greasemonkey scripts and the script Youtube Player Controls which will allow the video to take up the whole screen of your Safari window.

So you take the video, move the tab to a separate window--say on your Big-Ass Screen--then expand this Safari window to the entire screen and voila!

You can basically do the same with Firefox. I do not know about Chrome, because only Commies use it!

--J.D.

Thank you Cheryl and J.D!

In System Preferences>Display - What do you have set?

Here are the display settings:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s6xxyl8bfi7mrh/Screenshot 2017-11-03 09.59.41.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1d92eayagy5grd/Screenshot 2017-11-03 10.01.25.png?dl=0

Here are the mission control settings (had heard that this might be helpful for this issue too):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49fhe45o6072tpa/Screenshot 2017-11-03 09.59.49.png?dl=0

I have noticed, particularly if you use Safari, full screen always takes over BOTH monitors defeating the whole purpose of having two monitors: allowing you to watch a video in FULL EPIC SCREEN while surfing for French plant por . . . er . . . working . . . working on your other screen.

Solution?

Depends on the browser and application. Since you mention Youtube, let me stick with that. There is no easy solution. However, you can get around it.

On Safari you need Tampermonkey to run Greasemonkey scripts and the script Youtube Player Controls which will allow the video to take up the whole screen of your Safari window.

So you take the video, move the tab to a separate window--say on your Big-Ass Screen--then expand this Safari window to the entire screen and voila!

You can basically do the same with Firefox. I do not know about Chrome, because only Commies use it!

--J.D.

Lol... hmmmmm ok interesting, never heard of that solution before. When you say "then expand this Safari window to the entire screen", do you mean hitting the green button at the top left of the window? Doesn't that make it enter "full screen mode" which messes up the secondary monitor? Or do you mean dragging the borders of the window to be almost as large as the second monitor?

I mean the old fashioned drag the bottom right-corner until the window expands as much as you can in the monitor window.

--J.D.

Back