Web Pages... taxable?

boi

official breaker of macs.
are web pages a taxable product or are they a service? our company has had a few jobs, but we're still learning how to stand. can any advice (mainly about starting the company and taxation) be given for a budding (and quickly growing) web design company?
thanks.

I'm pretty sure that they are a service - you are providing a service to the company you are designing them for. It's not exactly something that's tangible so I wouldn't imagine that it is taxable. But then again this is purely conjecture and I will let someone who actually knows what they are talking about speak up! :)

I think it depends.
If you have a shop, and people come to you, then they are taxable -- if you are an "online" shop then I think that only if they live in the state that you are located in they pay taxes.

Originally posted by boi
are web pages a taxable product or are they a service? our company has had a few jobs, but we're still learning how to stand. can any advice (mainly about starting the company and taxation) be given for a budding (and quickly growing) web design company?
thanks.

Web Page design is a service offered, and as far as I know untaxable as a tangible property sale would be. I have done it for 2-3 years, and never had an issue. You will have to pay your "self-employment" taxes as income, but not sales tax.

Still, to cover your U-Know-What, talk to a business lawyer or CPA (preferably a corporate or business one). Inevitably you'll probably need to seek the help of these professionals anyways if you're going to make this a method of supporting yourself (main job or etc.), and they can help you with other things you may never had though of.

Good Luck, MD

Back