what FTP program do you advise?

I use terminal when I don't care for having a gui, and when I do, RBrowser Lite.

I very very very highly recommend using the ftp command from command line. If you really insist on something else, ncftp is also a very nice command line ftp program.

Or, if you really want to use something with a GUI, use the Finder (seehttp://www.lowendmac.com/x-basics/03/0211.html for a quick tutorial on using the Finder this way). After all, why use a 3rd party program when you have them already built in.

Brian

when i don't need a gui (ie. ftping a few files) i use the command line.
however, if i need to ftp large numbers of files, entire sub directories or multiple sub-directories I use transmit. Not free but its a nice application. :)
-the jag

jsn said:
Hi all

What FTP program do you advice to be used with Mac OS X ?

Thanks
jsn

Fetch for the GUI.

I've used nftp for the command line in Jaguar, but I can't seem to find that software compiled for Mac OS X any longer. It's much better to use than 'just' ftp (for example, it has tab-autocomplete).

Transmit looks nice but has too much overhead for what FTP really is (simple file transfer protocol). Fetch has it all in a neat and lean package. Get an educational license if you can (free).

What I really _want_ is full FTP (down- AND upload!) integration in the Finder. It can't be _that_ difficult.

I've noticed several of you recommend Fetch. It's what I've always used. However, I am unable to connect to anything if I'm running Jag. Switching back to OS X pre-Jag, I can reach all the sites just fine.

Is there something special I need to flip on or off in Jag in order to ftp?

Back