What happened to the clones?

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
Here I am looking at a PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro 215, and I started thinking, where did all the clones go?

Did I miss something?

lol, Power computing had a big campaign to get the clones back, but that would have eventually killed apple, and they declined. The clones have been officially dead for some time now.

yeah... I guess as soon as Steve Jobs came back to Apple, he "killed" the clones. What was it? Apple would not lisence the OS anymore. I think that is what happened. But that was a good move. I bet most people would buy a clone if they were still out. They were really just PCs running the MacOS. That is why Apple cannot port OS X to PC.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
They were really just PCs running the MacOS. That is why Apple cannot port OS X to PC.

Sure, Apple could port OS X to the Intel chipset... they just refuse to... they need money from their hardware.

Actually, any Mac clone, whether it be Power Computing, UMAX, or other vendor, was based on the Apple-designed mother-board and chipset. The clone makers got liscences which were not only for the Operating System, but also the motherboards and circuitry of the computer. So, even then, Apple kept a very tight grip on the design of machines. The problem was, clones offered the same OS and same internal hardware at prices below that of Apple... killing the company that gave birth to it. So, Apple bought Power Computing, and killed the liscences of the other companies... the clone era lasted only about a couple of years, I believe.

I don't believe any clone portables were made... anybody know why?

They couldn't get rid of the shameless plug (where you're supposed to plug-in the electricity)? :D

Back