Which Brand of Hard Drive would you buy?

What HD brand would you buy?

• Seagate

• Maxtor

• IBM Deskstar

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
I'm planning on buying an additional ATA hard drive for use in graphic and web design work, and perhaps some hobbyist video work, that said...

What brand of HD is the most dependable? Fastest? Best?

Maxtors are great. I also like the Deskstar, but their larger sized HDs have reliability problems (apprently there was a class action lawsuit). IBM also recently sold their HD division, so I don't know if they are still going to be retaining the IBM name.

Segates are great for SCSI drives though... The cheetahs are amazing.

I buy the cheap ones. Most of the ones that I have are Western Digital though.

The realiability of most name brand hdd's is about the same, so go for the fast ones .. 7200 RPM+, low seek time, and a big cache.

- shrill -

Another vote for Western Digitals here. They're cheap, fast and reliable. I have four of them in my tower right now. The 60GB makes a bit of noise due to the high rotation speed (7200RPM) but the 40GB 7200RPM is virtually silent.

I purchased an IBM Desktar 80GB 7200 RPM drive. Things are nice now, pleanty of room for my swap partition and whatnot...

120 GIGs is a lot of storage!

For anyone considering a larger (more than 120GB) hard drive, search the site for hard drive limitations first. There was another thread that talked about the limitations of the OS or the BIOS. Basically (IIRC) someone's 160GB drive was limited to 120GB because of this limitation.

we have a whole buncha labs with the ibm deskstars in the newer macs at work... they crap out ALL the time... they're actually pieces of crap, compared to all the labs we have with the old maxtors... i have 2 maxtor 30gbs in my tower, and they're runnin' great... ibms USED to make some quality drives, but not anymore, it seems... the seagates are amazing, though, but for price, maxtor is where it's at... western digital are nice, too, but i haven't had much experience w/ 'em...

I bought an samsung 80G 5400rpm
half a year ago flawless operation
and its sooooo silent which rhymes well with my cube. In fact my only problem right now is all the ant farts i can hear!:D

Back