Which browser do you use for primary?

Which web browser do you use for primary?

• Internet Explorer 5.2

• Mozilla 1.x

• Netscape 6.x/7 PR

• Chimera 0.x

• iCab

• OmniWeb 4.x

• Others (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Since all web browsers were updated to take the advantage of Quartz Anti-alasing font smoothing. They are now quite close in features. Which browser do you use for primary now?

I personally use the latest build of Mozilla. It provides a great stablity and compeitable with many of the website. And of coz its amazing Tabbed Browsing. I still hope it could have a OSX like interface/form elements tho.

But it has already be my primary use of web browser and I go checking the latest builds every couple of days.

OmniWeb was good but it doesn't compietable with many website especially those Java-Script/CSS HTML.

I am a Chinese user and when I use IE to browse some Chinese website, there will be some crosses (+) on the page and that's really annoying...

Chermia will not be my favorit unless it is finally released. But I know it would be very cool (The best from Mozilla and OSX GUI - that's my dream web browser).

Chermia will not be my favorit unless it is finally released. But I know it would be very cool (The best from Mozilla and OSX GUI - that's my dream web browser).

It's Chimera ...

It's a work in progress, but it's already suitable for everyday use (as long as you can live without the missing features...)...

By the time Chimera Navigator hits 0.5, there will be no stopping it!

I was thinking it had been a couple days since we had a good browser discussion and then surprise surprise, one pops up.

I use OmniWeb for all things because it is the most comfortable. It still renders things prettier than the carbon quartz but also it has things that carbon will never have. I can scroll the web page while its beneath another window (hold command and click, this also works for moving the entire window around at the title bar) I can also click submit and hit other form widgets while I'm still talking in Adium. This may not be important to everyone but I have a slow computer and it helps not to have to switch back and forth. Of course spell checking and some of the features like listing all the links on a page also help.

The only thing that I previously used mozilla for was this online game called Utopia. There is a lot of switching pages and sometimes I need to copy and paste some text into a formatter. Omni doesn't copy tables right so the formatter can't recognize the numbers. Now I use Chimera for that because it's even faster and still uses a standard table layout. I'm sure I'll use Chimera in the very near future when it starts to incorporate the strengths of cocoa but for now I can't sacrifice those features that bring me to a cocoa app in the first place.

Originally posted by ddma
I am a Chinese user and when I use IE to browse some Chinese website, there will be some crosses (+) on the page and that's really annoying...

My wife who is Thai uses Mozilla for the exact same reason. It's the best at displaying non-roman characters hands down. OmniWeb used to be better, but it's gotten worse at it.

However I personally use Chimera as my default because of the speed and GUI. On the rare occassion that Chimera can't handle it, I'll usually go into Mozilla or IE.

...OmniWeb...

Well, not exactly but at least I use it more than the others primarily because it can read Greek web sites whereas the other do not!

Next on my list is Mozilla because is fast, compatible and has Tabs... Then is Chimera but has a long way to go and last but the most compatible than ALL the above combined is IE5.2 :)

When the others do not display a page that I MUST read correctly I turn to IE... Or at the worst case scenario I fire up Virtual PC 5.0.3 and IE5.5 with ALL the securities patches on ;)

However, I feel like OmniWeb is the best because looks the most Aquafied of the bunch (which is a plus for me) and because it feels right on my eyes, speed and foremost the champion of Greek support ;)

im sorry guys but mozilla is just the best one...... if chimera were done then it probably would be but its not. mozilla is just the fastest one out there.

I'm really glad to see Mozilla winning at the moment. I really do believe it is the best browser for OS X, let alone the dozens of other platforms it runs on. I currently run it in OS X, Windows and Linux. It's nice to have something that remains constant when switching computers several times a day as I do, depending on what I'm doing. I hope it continues to gain market share, forcing silly websites optimized for IE to become W3C compliant.

I use IE most of the time. Sorry. But I do play with all the other browsers. I heard that IE crashes a lot. It NEVEr crashes on me, and I do web design. All the other browsers have little things about them that bother me, and I will not use the browser untill those little things are fixed.

I agree about IE that doesn't crash at all. i had one crash once, trying to get something real strange done, that's all.

So I use Chimera to consult Web, and IE for the rest that it doesn't handle. I just hope Chimera won't get polluted with all these stupid features nobody wants in a browser. IE is full of them, I just hate it.

Also, Chimera seems to suit most people here, so why are the votes so LOW for it ?

I've tried using them all...but in the end I went back to IE

OW looks amazing and I loved being able to really customize the toolbar the way I wanted it, but it would crash like crazy on me and it ran really slow.

Mozilla was stable for the most part, and the tabbed browsing feature was pretty good (would have been A LOT better if I could use Apple-Arrow key to flip between tabs), but it was painful to look at, and even with added themes I just never got the feel of a mac browser. The thing that really made me not want to use it, however, was how painfully slow it ran for me...it was almost unusable. (The same goes for Netscape Navigator)

Chimera (aka Navigator) was amazingly fast and when I first tried it, I couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to use it. Then as soon as I started browsing with it, problems started arising. The thing would crash on me all the time...it was almost scary how it would just randomly quit while I was just reading a page and not even clicking on anything.

iCab was one that never really got me interested...all I remember was trying to use iTools and having problems...nothing I saw after that really made a good impression.

Opera was another one that I thought I might really use a lot, I loved how it handled the loading of pictures and it was running pretty quickly...then the bug parade struck. I couldn't use the back arrow for some strange reason, no matter what I tried...weird.

I've never had any problems with IE...it's never crashed on me, and I like all the features. I like being able to minimize the toolbar and have my favorites along the top of the window. I like the Page Holder, and IE runs great on my computer. Pages load without any problems and it works without getting in the way.

I really would like to support another company, but I don't want to work around my browser or have to use multiple browsers to get things done. I need a fast AND stable browser that I can rely on to "just work." For now, IE is that browser for me...when another one comes along that works better I will be more than happy to switch.

<u>Explorer</u> works fine with everything I use: Speed Download, Flash, message boards… Problem: a bit slow.

So I tried <u>Opera</u>: but the CSS won't show up ! It is fast, true, but I hate the display mode: I like to have my page showing up in a whole, not having the pictures coming one after the other.

I was told <u>Chimera</u> was great for this: in fact, I was satisified. I had to stick to Explorer for the up/donwloads, for the Java, for the Flash… That's what I do for the moment.

But I still tried more: <u>Mozilla</u> seemed to have succes round here. So I donwloaded it, and it stayed… 15 minutes on disk. It's ugly; okay, but if the rest is fine… No, it's not only ugly, it's crashy too. So TRASH.

Last was <u>OmniWeb</u>: I'm using it to post this. I tried to read the Warcraft III trailer: it was ALMOST fine, though the Quicktime integration is not that fine. The rest seems to be good: speed, first of all, is REALLY good, even beating Chimera at first use.

I had seen <u>iCab</u>, I couldn't get to like the GUI. The rest was not smashing, so I couldn't get to use more than that.

Hence, my top list is:
1) Chimera + IE
2) OmniWeb
3) Mozilla with a theme, maybe.

I hope OmniWeb will beat the first ones, so I can get to click just one browser to do everything. Although that's not SO bad ! Using a browser for browsing, simply browsing through forums and docs, with pictures okay and speed really fine, and another browser to do anything else: download, Flash, etc.

That's for my two cents ;)

I try to use OmniWeb as much as possible but I keep having to switch back to IE for certain site for example to listen to something in Windows Media Player - Omniweb doesn't seem to be able to do this......

Annoying I know, but I suppose I'm stuck with IE:( :( :(

I've ditched both Mozilla 1.x and OmniWeb 4.x for now. IE 5.2 rules, definitely. It integrates with Mac OS X better than Mozilla ever will, it is a real speed demon display-wise AND interface-wise and its comfort-features are great, too. Only tabbed browsing is missing, which I hope for in the next big upgrade of IE. The most beautiful thing about IE however is that you don't have the feeling to use beta software all the time. The thing just feels, *IS* and works final.

Mozilla is my favorite. I use it at work on a PC and I use it at home on my TiBook. On my work machine, I have the IE theme running so that the IS group thinks I am using their "approved" browser, but on my Mac I use the "Pinstripe" theme, and it looks great!

I don't know why it's crashy for some of you, I find it amazingly stable on my machine.

Oh well...

:eek: :rolleyes:

People, please, get off the IE bandwagon. I don't understand the compatiblity issues. I run in to absolutely NONE. What sites are you visiting? Microsoft.com? MSN? Geez. It just makes me mad seeing people use IE because it is, well, IE. THINK DIFFERENT! :rolleyes:

No googolplex, it's just that IE 5.2 is the better, faster and nice browser and it's also compatible with more websites than any other browser out for Mac OS X. I never browser on msn.com (wouldn't know why), I don't use Hotmail, basically, I'm not interested in services by Microsoft. But I tend to use the solutions that suit me best. And for web browsing, this is IE 5.2 for now.

i like IE the best... and i have version 6!

thank god for the ClearType technology in XP because now it looks like i have Quartz Anti-aliasing in IE.... really nice feature!

1. Opera ...until it crashes or something javascript doesn't work then I go to
2. Internet Explorer 5.2 ...the fonts look much better than 5.1. I can barely read my Hotmail messages though :-(
3. Netscape 7 Preview Release - I would probably use this more but it takes some damn long to load and that's why it's third

I've tried all the other ones and they either crashed or didn't work. Mozilla was the absolute worse. It just didn't want to work at all sometimes

Back