Wifi Extender For Macbookpro And Sierra?

Discussion in 'Hardware & Peripherals' started by sgould, Jun 12, 2017.

1. sgould

sgould
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

In the past I have used a Quickertek USB wifi link to extend the range of the laptop wifi. That broke and I got a Bear Extender, which worked well, again from the USB connection.

Then I found that the Bear Extender would not work with OS 10.12 :( There seems to be no workaround.

I gave up looking for a replacement because I use it on holiday and most hotels have free wifi these days. However a recent holiday to central Europe showed that wifi was often only available in public hotel spaces.

Is there a wifi extender that works with OS 10.12 ??

2. Cheryl

Cheryl
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Rosie Moderator
    Staff Member Mod

While on holiday, you walk around with your laptop checking emails or sites ? In any case you will find some areas/countries that do not have access to wifi everywhere and even using an extender will not help.

3. sgould

sgould
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

It's not a really desperate need, but on a recent holiday, one small hotel we were in had wifi, but it only worked from the stairwell to the first four rooms along the corridor. We were in room five and had to sit in the corridor to check e-mails. The same thing happened in a much bigger hotel, but the public area was a lot more comfortable.

I had the Bear extender for a few years and on occasion it was useful when I could dangle the unit out of the window, down to the ground floor and get wifi in our room. We do tend to prefer smaller family hotels, so the problem nay continue.