Wireless behind a router

bigbadbill

Flaccid Member
HELP!

My home network has Mac and PC's on it. I originally used an airport for a router but had problems keeping a connection on the PC. I replaced my Airport with a Linksys router and moved my airport behind the Linsys router to maintain a wireless connection for my laptop. I needed to turn off the "Distribute IP Addresses" on the Airport to have all computers on the same network. This works great and eliminated the problem I was having with my PC.

I decided to add WiFi to my office network and purchased an SMC wireless router. Our DSL modem has a built in router and distributes IP addresses throughout the office via a 24-port switch. I connected the SMC wireless router downstream from the DSL Router and Switch and can get an interenet connection, but I am not on the same network as the rest of the office preventing filesharing, rendezvous, etc. When I disable the "distribute IP addresses" feature on the SMC wireless router and restart it my laptop (connected to the SMC router via ethernet at this point, NOT WIRELESS) self assigns an IP address, loses connection to the interenet and can no longer connect to the SMC wireless router. I have to reset the SMC router to the default settings just to connect again.

How can i get this wireless router on the same network?

Do you have an ethernet cable going from 24-port switch to the internet/WAN port of the SMC? Since you are using it as a Wireless bridge, you should only connect to the LAN side of the SMC. And make sure your Gateway address in Network Prefs is set to the DSL router - even on the wireless computer.

Back