Xserve

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
From Maccentral:

The server will have a dual 1GHz G4 processor, 256K L2, 4MB DDR L3 caches. System controller with custom ASIC done by Apple. Built-in: Gigabit Ethernet and FireWire. That controller has up to 2GB DDR SDRAM. (This is the first time that we know of that that SDRAM has been used in a 1U server.) In addition, it will have a PCI slot with gigabit Ethernet. This means server comes std. with two gigabit Ethernet ports. Quad ATA/100 drives, all on independent controllers and all have independent channels into system controller; a CD-ROM and 2 64-bit/66MHz PCI slots.

That equals true.

You can disable firewire ports, CDROM and USB ports so you can't boot from an external drive.

It has LEDs to control vital system compoments (fan, CPU, HDDs) and the things alarms when somebody tries to "steal" it.

HDDs can be swapped while the system is running, and it has special software which tests the integrity of the drives.

with 60 gig HDD and 256 MB RAM, it costs around 3000.- USD

the new software which controls this things is called "Server Monitor" (how original). In the demo, he showed that 400 parallel streaming-connections only took 50% of the xServe's CPU time...

cool thing if you ask me. Now if they would only release a 800 Mhz single CPU version for me to build a fileserver around it...

is there built in software for clustering? or is it still a third party thing? how would you set up a render farm for video/3d work?

Originally posted by rinse
is there built in software for clustering? or is it still a third party thing? how would you set up a render farm for video/3d work?

From the MacCentral article, it looks like there is built-in software for clustering, although I don't see any mention of that on http://www.apple.com/xserve/

CHIC-CHING

I hope Apple makes A LOT OF MONEY. This looks like some serious hardware (see Apple's website and download the PDF info files). I'll bet their stock will jump either today or tomorrow. Looks like Sun and IBM have some more competition. Wow, I wish my computer had some REDUNDANT systems on board, like a battery backed-up power supply. This is a serious attempt to get get into a competitive market, and seems like Apple did it right. This can further serve to increase Apple's market share among businesses and education. Good good good.

Originally posted by homer
Might this be the motherboard that was leaked onto eBay? Just a thought.

No, this one is totally different, only two PCI slots are visable and there's a good amount of space between the two, the other had quiet a few in a row. And XServe's is green - not red (altho who says they can't change the color? But still it isn't).

IIRC, all "beta" boards from apple are red and then turn green once they go into mass production

Righty-O! That means good things are in store for MWNY. Yeah buddy. After MWNY I may not be able to hold out for a G5. :)

i'd love to have one of these babies as my main workstation puter! i did a build to order on the apple site and was able to get a primo machine for 3498!

alas, if i only had the $

I never thought I would give a crap about a dedicated server box, but this thing is cool. It makes me want to buy one and set up a proper server instead of just sharing files from an iMac like I"m doing now.

I'll be curious to see if the market wil be interested. I mean, we're Apple fans, so obviously we're interested. Apple of course thinks there's a big enough market, but I have to be mildly skeptical regarding the people who will actually be in charge of purchasing such servers. In my limited experience, these people are Mac haters by default or at best, Mac ignorant. It doesn't matter that this thing will serve to any type of OS you can think of, it's got an Apple logo on it.

I really have no idea though, I hope it's a hit.

Guys, you're both wrong.
The motherboard ish blue :D

http://www.apple.com/xserve/specs.html

Bwahahaha.. that would make a KILLER home computer. Now all I need to see is a DVD drive and faster graphics card. But they have EVERYTHING you would need to run a website right there. They should put "T3 not included." at the bottom of their page. lol

:p Way to go Apple, you've done it yet again. I hope that everyone jumps on the bandwagon with this.

P.S.: My friend says that his dad has a UNIX based server that he works with, and it's only crashed around 3 times in 5 years. I bet this server is just as reliable. ;)

I guess so.

One of the sites I am webmaster from is on a RedHat Linux 7.2 machine. It runs since 2,5 years, has plenty of traffic (since it deals with lots of print quality data) and it NEVER crashed till now, and I did plenty of shit on that thing!!!

UNIX / Linux/ BSD is just great for server.

In the company I used to work we had an NT based server, and it crashed about every time when somebody of us did an error, running a hefty database query in a never ending while loop or something like this (stuff that happens sometimes) but with the Linux, I even TRIED to crash it by running such scripts...no chance.

I love UNIX based operating systems.

UNIX rules. :D "Like a rock!"

UNIX based systems like Linux and OS X are cool also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't OS X the first UNIX based OS aimed at the general public? Linux may have been too, but it seems more like a professional-grade OS to me. :confused: Although OS X is professional and casual user oriented at the same time. ;) This may be a controversial (sp?) enough topic that it deserves its own thread.

EDIT: My site, anim8.biz, is running off of a regular UNIX server. I haven't experienced downtime on it. :D

Back