Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. hard to locate

fongster

Registered
Hi all. Recently, I am having trouble finding Yahoo and Hotmail as well as some other bookmarked sites. I had no probs in the past. It happens intermittantly, with no particular reason. IE has a pop up that says "can't locate..." or something like that. I had an older IE that came with my G4 733 and it began to happen with it. I then upgraded to IE 5.1.7 and it seemed ok for a while but it does it now too. Then for no apparent reason, after a few tries, it will find Yahoo, etc. It never occurs on some sites that are bookmarked. Also happens when I just type in the address, too. Why is this happening? Is it a memory allocation thing? Or a cache thing? Or...? Thanks!

I've had times where IE wouldn't see a site the first time, then when I clicked the link (or whatever) a second time it worked. I don't know why it happens, though it never seems to happen in OS X; I'd say just ignore it unless you can't access a site after repeated attempts.

It could be that you've changed a password to those sites and the exact location of the website has changed and your browser is hanging. Try going to your inbox and then copying that address into your bookmarks and see if it helps any.
After that, switch to Safari. :)

It also could be that the yahoo or hotmail server is busy and IE does not want to wait. Remember that those sites are pretty demanding.

I have always had problems "bookmarking" hotmail because the actual site address to get into hotmail differs considerably than when you just type in www.hotmail.com. It's also possible that you haven't deleted your cache in a while and your old cache for hotmail and yahoo is no longer valid?

Back