Zammy's farm?

Hehe..
why did you remind me to this? :)
I actually never planed to get a cluster out of those computers but tried to fix and sell them. Once I started I realised they are missing many many parts such as hdd, sometimes ram, keyboard, mouse, soundcards, cpu-fans and cables. I had to buy most of these things from ebay. Current status of expenses including car-renting, costs for the gas and parts I bought on ebay: around 450Euro.
Well, I have only the weekends left for repairing those computers and the previous 4 weeks I didn't do a thing. Right now I have around 35 computers completely done and ready to be sold.
4 of them already found a new owner for 59Euro. Most of the buyers are students looking for a way to chat with their ppl at home.

However, my motivation now is quite low. I will just try to sell all those 35 computers and later think of something for the remaining 129.. ;) It's just so darn frustrating when the software simply doesn't want to install due to some undeclared reasons.
Btw, none of the live-cd solutions worked on these systems. The only good os that worked fine with most of the pcs were Win95, Win98, WinXP, SUSE7 and Redhat7. In the end I decided to only use SUSE7.
I think you can call me a professional SUSE7 installer now. ;)

right now I am selling Pentium 166mhz - 233mhz mmx with 128mb edo-ram, 2gb hdd, 2-4mb pci graphic cards, 4x CDRom, floppy, ethernet card, sound card and a 14-15'' screen. The price is 59Euro. In few mins I will sell another one. :)
So, what do you think? It's a good offer, huh? SUSE7 runs pretty fine on them..
However, from all those 164 pc only half is like this. The remaining is from 386DX 33mhz - Pentium 133mhz. Will do all remaining Pentium systems on the next run and look how much money I earned out of this. If I am not satisfied yet, I will try to fix those 386-486 systems and sell them at something like 39Euro or so. Otherwise I will just sell all of them on a local flea market.

Back