10.2 and 10.4 AFP permissions

vrtisworks

Registered
Hi,

I've moved some directories from Windows to Xserve 10.4 and have run into a few minor problems I hope somebody can help me with.

I have the shares set up, and most of them work fine. There is one problem, and that led me to the second problem. Solve either and I'll be a happy camper.

1) When I try to connect to the 10.4.6 server from a 10.2.3 client with afp, the client apparently doesn't have any permissions to any of the files. I can do a GetInfo on the directory, and it says that they have R/W permissions (both as owner and as everyone). But files show up as empty boxes you can't click on to do a GetInfo. When I switch to list view and try to click on a file, it disappears (as in is removed from the list of files). This happens with all the shares I try to mount from the 10.4 system. I can connect correctly from a 10.3 client, with the same login credentials.

2) If I try to mount the share with SMB, the particular share doesn't show up because the name is longer than 12 characters. Other shares on the same server with shorter names work fine, and I get the correct access permissions. So, as part of plan B, I need to find a way to mount an SMB share with a long name.

Thanks.

Point #2 is a limitation of SMB. If you take a peek at Microsoft's guide to file sharing for cross platform environments, they state not to name a volume more than 12 characters, as it may not be visible. This is true of Samba. It appears from past experience that a Windows CIFS client to a Windows server doesn't have this issue.

Why do you still have Jaguar clients anyway? You saw how Panther improved the performance and capabilities. :)

Michael

Boss says I don't have any money for an upgrade.:( Though he did mention something about a payroll deduction plan....

Nick

Back