10.2 won't boot

huck

Registered
I woke my computer from sleep mode and it froze as i opened it up. I then rebooted my machine and found that OS X will no longer load. I ran First Aid off the boot disk and it found some errors. It apparently fixed them but OS X still will not load.

It gets to the startup screen then quickly vanishes. From here all I see is blue and no boot. The hard drive does not even spin.

What can i do? Is there any way to do a quick boot or perform similiar functions in the old OS like booting without extensions, even thought X does not have them?

How about any third party software products that can perform a more thorough disk first aid.

Peace.

Ver

Well you can try these startup commands: (Hold them down when you hear the startup chime)

Command-V Verbose mode - Shows a bunch of startup messages
Command-S Single User mode - Gets you to a root shell with almost none of the system loaded; good for fixing problems (if you know how)

I guess your best bet is to try these and look for any nasty error messages that show up.

Booting using verbose mode seems to prove that nothing is wrong. It loads and checks everything ok. It gets to the "Welcome to Macintosh" line, loads a few more items, then goes to my blue screen. It never brings up my login though. No errors are reported.

I tried using singe user mode. I have no idea what the heck to try and fix though.

How about third party first aid utilities ie Norton?

Ver

Norton might be able to pull off something. First, try running fsck in single user mode. Do the single user startup command, and when you get to the prompt, there should be a message just above it that tells you how to run fsck. Do that, and it will check the filesystem on your startup disk. And pray that you don't see messages like "disk0s8: 0x8 UNDEFINED" because that probably indicates bad blocks.

Back