[10.3.9] Macromedia Studio MX 2004 Won't Start Anymore!!

mickey79

True Defiance
Ave,

Out of the blue - All of a sudden - Out of nowhere!
I have the Macromedia Studio MX 2004 installed and i've been using it on a daily basis for the last 2.5 years now.

Suddenly today it's applications won't launch anymore. Here's what's happening:

Dreamweaver MX 2004: Bounces, Settles in Dock with Arrow underneath. Does not open, launch or start. Just sits in the Dock like a Ghost!
Fireworks MX 2004: Keeps Bouncing in Dock endlessly.
Freehand MX 2004: Keeps Bouncing in Dock endlessly.

Flash MX 2004: Launches & Works properly.
Extension Manager: Launches & Works properly.

I don't understand!!! Repaired permissions using Disk Utility - numerous times. Rebooted - numerous times.
Uninstalled (Literally deleting everything to do with Macromedia - including plist files, licenses, configurations etcetera) - numerous times.

Nothing is helping!!

Any clues?

01. Make sure you have copies of the latest 'Flash Player' and 'Shockwave Player' installers.
02. Make sure you have copies of the 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004's updates (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Freehand).
03. Re-install 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004'. Do not install 'Flash Player'.
04. Perform the necessary 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004' updates.
05. Perform the necessary 'Flash' and / or 'Shockwave Player' installation(s).

Be ready to have Macromedia Studio MX 2004 re-authenticate itself, one you launch one of its applications.

Ave,

Ok you do sound like you know what you're talking about - and that's promising! I'm going to give it a whirl! Do exactly what you say.

I have copies of everything you stated.

I'll post back. Thanks.

Ave,

No Good :(

- Downloaded latest copies of 'Flash Player' and 'Shockwave Player' installers.
- Downloaded latest copies of 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004's updates (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Freehand).
- Re-installed 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004' from Scratch. (Had manually deleted everything to do with Macromedia). Did NOT install 'Flash Player'. Said "No" when it asked to install Flash Player.
- Performed necessary 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004' updates.
- Performed necessary 'Flash' and 'Shockwave Player' installation(s).

After this I clicked the Dreamweaver MX application and it did what it was doing before - Bounced in the dock, then settled. Nothing opened. Nothing launched. All other applications behaving the same way as before - except that now even Flash MX does the same - bounces & settles but Does Not open.

Any suggestions?

01. Make sure you have copies of the latest 'Flash Player' and 'Shockwave Player' installers.
02. Make sure you have copies of the 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004's updates (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Freehand).
03. Re-install 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004'. Do not install 'Flash Player'.
04. Perform the necessary 'Macromedia Studio MX 2004' updates.
05. Perform the necessary 'Flash' and / or 'Shockwave Player' installation(s).

Be ready to have Macromedia Studio MX 2004 re-authenticate itself, one you launch one of its applications.

Open Console (Applications > Utilities) when you try to launch the applications. What gets generated in the logs?
Maybe that will give some hints on what is happening in the applications. Paste here what happens in Console at that moment.

Ave,

Here's the Console Log while launching the different Macromedia Studio MX 2004 Applications:

Dreamweaver
===== Tue Jul 31 2007 ===== 08:57:50 America/New_York =====
Authentication Service: Started
Authentication Service: Started

Fireworks, Freehand & Flash
"Absolutely NOTHING logs in the Console. Icon keeps bouncing in Dock"

Not sure why console log stops at "Authentication Service: Started" and then nothing happens when I try to launch Dreamweaver.

Open Console (Applications > Utilities) when you try to launch the applications. What gets generated in the logs?
Maybe that will give some hints on what is happening in the applications. Paste here what happens in Console at that moment.

Hmm ..

Try removing [HD]//Library/Preferences/Macrovision .. if you find anything Macrovision in that location (maybe drag it to desktop first). [more]

Ave,

Tried everything - including trashing all "Macrovision" files & folders from the system. After 16+ reinstalls, trashing everything remotely to do with Macromedia, and banging my head against Google - I gave in!

Reinstalled Operating System altogether. Chose the "Archive & Install" option from the Mac OS X Panther 10.3 Disc. After installation completed, ran all updates and got 10.3.9.

Reinstalled Macromedia Studio MX 2004. Finally! Everything is working fine - All applications are launching.

Thanks everyone.

Back