10.5.6 + DiskWarrior

volkerusa

Registered
Hi Guys, would anyone have any suggestion what to do? I am running DiskWarrior for the last two years. Now I upgraded to 10.5.6 and run the latest version of DiskWarrior 4.1.1. and the program works itself up to Step 8 in the "Rebuilding Directory" window and than it stops while it says "scanning disk one moment please and then a window comes up and asks me to "Shut down my computer, holding down the start button for a few seconds.
I have a Powerbook G4, 1.67 mHz. Can anyone please give me suggestions?
Thank you Volker

are you experiencing a kernel panic?its a window with different languages but bottom line is it will tell you to shutdown or restart the machine. You can google it if you like, check if that's the latest patch of disk warrior from versiontracker.com or macupdate.com running such utilities does take up a lot of cpu power so make sure your not running too much programs when using it. Try this few other steps
1. reinstall disk warrior make sure no remnants are left use appcleaner or appzapper
2. replicate the problem after reinstallation
3. check the logs go to MAC HD/Applications/Utilities/Console Launch it first then Run the Disk warrior you'll definitely see the logs there. post back the results. I reckon its your disk warrior but then again its better to check the logs

Hi kisuk3, thank you for your help. No I didn't have any kernel panic messages or anything. Every thing (?) seems to run well but DiskWarrior. I never have any other applications open when I run DiskWarrior. I followed your advise and went to versiontracker. Yes, I do have the latest Version of DW 4.1.1.
Now I see on the VersionTracker site that they mention that this latest update supports OS 10.5.5 I am running 10.5.6 Could this be the culprit of my problem? I wrote between your advise below

1. reinstall disk warrior make sure no remnants are left use appcleaner or appzapper
I am not all that great with tech stuff but I try and learn. Most people my age don't even want anything to do with computers. So, sorry for my rambling. what do I do with appzaper or cleaner?

What do you mean by that. I hope it will not replicate.

3. check the logs go to MAC HD/Applications/Utilities/Console Launch it first then Run the Disk warrior you'll definitely see the logs there. post back the results. I reckon its your disk warrior but then again its better to check the logs

Now I guess I can figure this out and you want me to send you the copy of the log.

Thank you very much again for your help. Volker

Hi kisuk3, thank you for your help. No I didn't have any kernel panic messages or anything. Every thing (?) seems to run well but DiskWarrior. I never have any other applications open when I run DiskWarrior. I followed your advise and went to versiontracker. Yes, I do have the latest Version of DW 4.1.1.
Now I see on the VersionTracker site that they mention that this latest update supports OS 10.5.5 I am running 10.5.6 Could this be the culprit of my problem? I wrote between your advise below

I am not all that great with tech stuff but I try and learn. Most people my age don't even want anything to do with computers. So, sorry for my rambling. what do I do with appzaper or cleaner?

-appzapper and appcleaner are 3rd party programs that you can install to easily uninstall a program or application that you wish. So say for example DW. Sometimes uninstall a program is not as easy as dragging the application to the trash because it leaves some files in some folders lying in your mac. Like when you go to Mac HD\Library\Application Support or ~\Library\Preferences\there will be a file here that represents your DW its called a .plist file. So by using the programs stated above u dont have to do any of these just drag the file and delete your done

What do you mean by that. I hope it will not replicate.

-replicate means to test whether the problem will reoccur

Now I guess I can figure this out and you want me to send you the copy of the log.

Thank you very much again for your help. Volker

--ultimately the problem that your experiencing may be compatibility. So you have to check with DW support site if they have uploaded the patch for 10.5.6

Dear Kisuke3, YOU ROCK!!! What I couldn't get fixed with the help of Apple Support, Diskwarrior Support and a few other forums, you gave me the simple solution. Not to bore you to death but here is my letter to Diskwarrior, all together I spend about 35 hrs. on this subject. And YOU solved it.

Well Marc,
after 7 days and endless hours of working through forums and working on all kind of suggestions (Terminal commands, plenty of diagnostic tools and so on, all together I spend about 35 hrs. on this) I finally got the right solution from a nice person at macosx.com. Sorry YOU guys couldn't think of this?
I just deleted ALL Diskwarrior files and started from scratch and worked myself up to 4.1.1.
Just ran the disk while sweat was running down my neck from anxiety and it works. My Directory (that was fine anyways) is rebuild. Hallelujah. Thank for your help and I hope this has enlightened you too. We always learn in life, Alllll the best.
Volker

Yes and all the best to you Kisuke3. God bless you and hopefully our country. I am so greatful to you, please if I can be of service let me know.
I will check here again tomorrow. Bye.

I am humbly overwhelmed with your response. A simple thank you(thanks button)will suffice. I am just helping out anyway :) so we can all enjoy the wonders of our mac. Take care my friend, if you have anything up just let me know or rather let us know.

Back