12" ALBook when iBooks are updated ... ?

bjurusik

Registered
What is Apple going to do when they update the iBooks? iBooks are at 700 and 800 mhz, ALBook12 at 867 mhz. I know I'm comparing a G3 to a G4, but I'd say a +100 mhz G3 is probably just as fast as a G4. And try explaining that to the less educated. iBooks will surely incorporate DDR RAM now that the iMacs have it. The iBooks have a larger L2 cache. And also, bluetooth and AE will mostly likely be built in. Besides the Superdrive, what reason is there to buy a 12" ALBook after the new iBooks are released, which presumably should be soon.

Good question, but I wouldn't bet on anything. Perhaps there won't be any significant updates to the iBooks for a few months. Or, perhaps they will put in an Airport Extreme slot, but no bluetooth. They might drop the price on the AlBooks, or increase the specs. Its impossible to say exactly what will happen, and anything you hear at this point is really just speculation.

anything you hear at this point is really just speculation
Very very true!

Keep in mind that the iBooks and the 15" Ti were updated in November. Following normal update cycles (+/- 6 months), we shouldn't expect major updates before May. Apple, however, is perfectly capable of stunning us all yet again with an update to the portables. :)

Wild speculation follows -->
My guess is that both PB's and iBoook are going to be updated at MacWorld New York in July, giving them a lot of publicity and exposure in the "year of the laptop".
/ Wild speculation :)

I'm just hoping we see a new processor at MWNY. We all know something is in development, and has been for a while. Sure the G4 beats a Pentium in a few benchmarks, but the truth is obvious.

My guess is that the portables will see a consolidation leading to more a more 'pro' approach, leaving only four basic models (instead of five like now):

- iBook 12" 900 MHz G3, nVidia 420go (nothing else changed)
- 12" PowerBook, 1 GHz G4
- 15" PowerBook, 1-1.25 GHz G4
- 17" PowerBook, 1-1.25 GHz G4

The 14" iBook would be dropped, both because they haven't sold so well and because two many options are bad. The iBook is the entry-level and education iBook. No need for several models there.

I have to disagree on the dropping of the 14" Apple will not do that. They will also have an entry level ibook at the 800mhz w/cdrw.

After the middle of the year all ibooks and powerbooks (except the $899 model) should have superdrives standard.

Price ranges would be:
800mhz 12" iBook $899
900mhz 12" iBook $1299
900mhz 14" iBook $1499
1Ghz 12" Powerbook $1799
1.25Ghz 15.4" Powebook $2499
1.25Ghz 17" Powerbook $2999

*all powerbooks may also have one additional component... a fan

Back