12" PowerBook G4 in fact is a 12" iBook G4???

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Well, from the spec... No PCMCIA, No ADC, Not 1-inch think... The 12" PowerBook G4 in fact is a 12" iBook G4...

From what I've heard, the G3 is alive and well, and will continue to be in the iBooks for a while. I'll have to admit though, that the 12" PB looks ALOT like my new iBook!

It's limited to 640MB ram, so that may be the strongest clue.

It's also the only powerbook with a side loading drive (albeit slot loading, not a drawer)

Both of the new powerbooks seem to have benefited from the ibook hinge design.

The graphics output is definitely different. Can't get a 64MB graphics card on it.

just some thoughts. cheers,

Finally a PowerBook in my price range. Perhaps next summer I'll have one of those, or maybe the next revision. Really, really great! It's also a good size, and supports an extended desktop without nasty hacks :D

I hope the 15" model will get updated soon as well as 17" features... So I will instantly fall in love with it... Or 12" model includes all features of the 17"... like backlit keyboard and Fireware 800 and PC card slot...

If you look at the 12" PowerBook, its style is very similar to the 12" iBook. I would say most of its design cues are taken from the 12" iBook.

I imagine the 12" and 14" iBooks will be eliminated at some point and replaced by a single 13" iBook.

I forsee a lot of confusion existing between the 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook G4.

I dunno, after looking at the 12"s side profile (looks 'chunky' and the screen frame is wider) and the specs, I tend to agree. Changed the casing material and a few other small things (combo drive/graphics chip, etc) put in a G4 and called it a powerbook. So the masses wouldn't get onery about an iBook price increase - instead they'd be exstatic about a powerbook price decrease.

Features missing on the 12":
backlit keyboard
gigabit ethernet
dvi port (vga instead)
no firewire 800
ram expansion (only to 640MB)

Sounds like an iBook to me. Oh well. Smart move on their part. Perception is everything.

By the way, I'm tall.

still, the 12" PowerBook is smaller in every dimension compared to the iBook 12", so if you compare them directly, you'll see something you mightn't noticed if you look at them separately: The PowerBook 12" will look leaner. More slimlined. And, of course, more professional. Also, you don't have to hack it to get monitor spanning.

Also: Better graphics card, better processor, same battery life. I wonder how hot it really gets, but this is one sexy PowerBook and certainly a good addition. I might still choose the iBook for price reasons, but that baby has put me to awe, as it's basically what I've wanted since I've bought the TiBook 500...

makes me wish i waited 6 months so i could buy this.. if this was out 6 months ago i would have gladly gotten the 12" pbook instead of my 14" iBook. anyone interested in a slightly used iBook????
:)

The iBook is 11.2 x 9.06 x 1.35 inches.
The PowerBook is 10.9 x 8.6 x 1.18 inches.

Though the PowerBook is slightly smaller than the iBook, the proportions have been matched for the most part.

Because of this, I don't think the PowerBook is going to look any leaner. It may in fact look chunky because the thickness had the least amount of reduction in proportion to the length and width.

In anycase, I question its place in Apple's notebook strategy. At least as long as the 12" iBook still exists. I expect it to be redesigned before to long.

Originally posted by ianfinity
It's limited to 640MB ram, so that may be the strongest clue.

It's also the only powerbook with a side loading drive (albeit slot loading, not a drawer)

Both of the new powerbooks seem to have benefited from the ibook hinge design.

The graphics output is definitely different. Can't get a 64MB graphics card on it.

just some thoughts. cheers,

Huh? Although the Apple Store only lets you configure the 12" PB to 640MB, it says right below the popup box: "More memory (RAM) enables your computer to run more applications at the same time. PowerBook G4 computers support up to 1 Gigabyte of RAM." I would assume that means ALL PB G4s support 1 GB.

256MB of PC2100 (266MHz) DDR SDRAM (128MB built in and 128MB in SO-DIMM slot); supports up to 640MB (12-inch model)

Nope. My question is, why does the 12" use PC2100 266Mhz and the 17" use PC2700 333MHz?

I don't know, both the 17" as well as the 12" look awfully like a sort of "TiBook Special Edition": A once and only stunt. Whether they will stay as regular "members" of the portable pro line is doubtful IMHO.

Before MWSF evrybody was worried a G4 iBook would cut into TiBook sales: now it's exactly the other way round. That little 12" AlBook is definitely going to cut into iBook sales :) .

Yes, but Apple doesn't exactly worry you're spending MORE money. ;)

The Alus are here to stay. It's the 15" that will need an update to stay competitive, since it lacks Bluetooth as well as AirPort Extreme. And, of course, the nice touch of keyboard backlighting. Although the LilBook does that, too...

Does anyone know what material the 12" powerbook is made out of??

On the apple site they make it clear that the 15" is TI and the 17" is Aluminum-TI.. but they are strangly silent on the material used for the 12". Is it just plastic like an iBook?

did u guys notice how the 17 pb has 2 hinges to hold it closed wow thats crazy. That thing must be pretty big.

Back