17" MacBookPro

SGilbert

Registered
Absolutely perfect...except: Dog attempted to jump over open MBP, and bent the screen backward. Entire bottom edge of screen bezel was bent away from screen. I attempted to push it back into place, but cannot get in far enough to enable the lid to close.

Thought that just replacing bezel would totally correct it, but local Apple tech and Apple itself both confirm that the entire lid needs to be replaced...$1000+.

This MBP will make a perfect desktop machine, but will not close. As soon as Apple updates the 17" MBP's, I will replace it with a new one, but not before. That MAY not happen for several months--I'm planning ahead.

Specs: 17" MBP; 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo; 2 GB Ram (2/1Gig); 7200 rpm 100 GB HD; Glossy screen; Purchased from Apple Store 12/2006.

Pics on request.

TONS of software. Make offer. sugilbert 'at' comcast.net

Just found them about 2 hours ago. Requested a quote, but from what I learned earlier today, it's still going to be $655 from them. Far better than $1000 + labor. Have to wait for the quote tomorrow.

Anyone use them? Fast? Good?

Their reply (NOT GOOD!!!):

It sounds like it may not only be the bezel but also the hinge that needs
replacement. Unfortunately, we do not have hinges or bezels for the 17"
model. You could contact Apple at 1-800-767-2775, www.apple.com/support <http://www.apple.com/support> for
assistance.

My reply:

I really do not believe the hinges are involved. Are you saying that the only thing you can do is replace the entire screen at your listed price of $655? Or you saying that there is nothing you can do?

Their re-reply:

We most likely would not be able to repair your machine.

Yeah - i went to the site after i posted that link - they only have the hinge/bezel
replacement for the 15" model, but i wonder why they think you need a new screen??

Beats me. At this point, I'll wait until they upgrade the 17" to a degree that is decently better/faster than what I've got. Totally useable, just as long as I stay home!

Glad I didn't get Applecare for this--totally useless for accidents!

Anyone know if there is a service contract for laptops that covers ANYTHING? (for the next one, of course)

Shameless BUMP. Now has 10.5.2 (Leopard)

The new MBPs came out today. I'm ready to get a new one.

Ordered new MBP 17", Hi-res Glossy, 2.6G, 200G 7200rpm HD. Will be adding addtl 2G RAM after delivery.

Last edited:
Back