17" powerbook function keys

Cow Loon

Registered
I'm trying again in a different forum. Is there a way that I can have it so that when I press the keys F1 - F12, applications will recieve the corresponding F1 - F12 keystroke, rather than the powerbook's brightness being adjusted etc.?

My powerbook manuals says I need to hold down fn + the function key, but this doesn't work for me. So far, it appears that to get F9 for example, with "Use F1-F12 for custom actions" unchecked, I need to press fn+opt+F9 to generate the F9 keystroke. With the "Use..." checked, I haven't figured out how if possible at all to get an F9 keystroke. Can I have it so that I just have to press F9 to get F9?

Incidentally, I've tried the application fnSwitcher and it did nothing for me, though I realize it's supposed to be for an earlier os version. I am running macos 10.3.8

Actually you didn't say so. If you read the post very carefully, one can infer that you did.

Despite your snippy attitude, did you go into Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and try mapping some of the shortcuts yourself?

Have you tried HotApp?

http://www.trufsoft.com/HotApp.html

From their site:

"What is HotApp
HotApp is a utility application that let you control various elements of Mac OS 10 directly from the keyboard.
For example if you want to :

launch your favorite application by pressing a single key combination
search quickly your address book (require OS 10.2)
open your default browser on a particular URL by pressing a single key combination
execute system action (sleep, restart, logout, shutdown) by pressing a single key combination
start quickly your default screen save by pressing a single key combination
copy/paste repetive text by pressing a single key combination
many others...

then HotApp is your solution."

Obviously it's not free! ;-)

As far as I can tell, HotApp doesn't actually look like it will do what I want, because it's not an application that I want to launch, it is a keystroke that I want to generate. See, I use X11, remote desktop to windows and citrix and vnc to windows and unix boxes. When I use applications that expect one of the F1-F12 keystrokes, I want to be able to generate that keystroke, by simply pressing the F1-F12 keys.

Back