17" Widescreen Studio Display from Apple?

JFlynn

Registered
According to this article (well, rumor at least, posted below), theyre cutting production of the 17" Studio Displays sometime in May.

"Altogether, June or early July availability of the new widescreen 17-inch Cinema Display seems a certainty"

That would be nice. I was wanting a Apple Studio display to go with my new powerbook, but a) cant afford one right now, and b) wanted a widescreen.

Do you think that they'll have the same price tag attached, seeing that theyve recently dropped the price of the 17"?

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000062.php

IF they end up doing that, it'd be a godsend. i'm in the same boat as you, i want to get a studio display with my next mac purchase in the fall.... but dont want to spend for the 20".

Originally posted by wtmcgee
IF they end up doing that, it'd be a godsend. i'm in the same boat as you, i want to get a studio display with my next mac purchase in the fall.... but dont want to spend for the 20".

The 20" is a great purchase for the price ... other makers of 20" LCDs charge a bit more than Apple. I check Sony's site, they want $2000 for a 20", for that much you could get a 23" widescreen Apple. But when it comes to 17" screens, Apple's are a little more expensive than other makers. Also, if Apple does release a widescreen 17" it's not too big of a deal, it's all what you prefer. The 17" screen on my iMac is great but theres been times I wish it was normal aspect ratio ... that's why they need to come out with ones that you can position the screen vertical or horizontal ... that'd be great.

I think Apple have figured that once people have used a widescreen display, they'll never buy a 4:3 display again ;)
But my guess is it'll be an 18", as 17" is pretty small for a widescreen. I wasn't too impressed when I saw the 17" powerbook for the first time...

Back