2 OS ( 9 and x ) in one mac?

darenceang

Registered
Hi.
If i use both new and old s/w in both OS 9 and OSx.
Is it possible i juz create 2 partitions and install these 2 different OS in the 2 different partitions? Thus, if i want to work with OS 9, then i just boot to OS 9 and if i need oSX, then i boot to OS x?

Please advice.
Cheers!

I think that was once the case with early OSX, but now OS9 boots inside OSX

Depending your machine too, new Machines won't boot on earlier OS's that came with what was pre-installed when you got it.

Presuming, your unknown model Mac - running its unknown version MacOS X (MacOS X 10.0.0 - 10.4.5) and unknown version System (9.0.4 - 9.2.2), can boot via System 9.2.x; then, there is no need for separate partitions.

System 9.2.x will be installed in a 'System Folder' folder, as opposed to MacOS X'es 'System' folder. Whether or not System 9.2.x is installed on a second partition or not - the first time you launch 'Classic', via MacOS X, you will notified that some additions / changes will be needed. When you click on 'OK' (or equivalent) a few files will be installed in the 'System Folder' folder, and then 'Classic' will open (run, launch, boot). You would then still be able to boot the Mac to System 9.2.x (again, presuming it is of such a model Mac).

Also, any System 9.2.x installed applications (during the System 9.2.x installation process), will be placed into an 'Applications (Mac OS 9)' folder.

There is one quite good (IMHO) reason for separate
partitions. If you do an option-boot to select your
startup volume, OS9 must be on its own partition
to show up as an option.

While is may be ones opinion, it is incorrect to say 'If you do an option-boot to select your startup volume, OS9 must be on its own partition to show up as an option.'.

See the accompanying pictorial (SP.jpg, comprising of three pictures).
Note: Hard Drive 'HD3' (a single partition volume) has 'MacOS X 10.4.4' [Picture 01.] and 'Mac OS 9.2.2' (that is 'System 9.2.2') [Picture 03.]; and, Partition '10.3.8' (one of seven partitions) has 'MacOS X 10.3.8' [Picture 01.] and 'Mac OS 9.2.2' [Picture 03.].

Any of the listed 'OS'es, in the pictorial, can (also) be booted from via '<option>' booting the Mac.

Attachments

• SP.jpg
    SP.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 6
Back