20th Centurary MAC?!

Browni

Registered
Im lookign ofr some screenshots / discription of the 20th centray mac that apple made?? Or am i insane?

Thnax
B

We should also mention that things like the TAM upheld Apple's luxury status better than nowadays' products.

I think Apple should make an Anniversary Mac again. Somebody remember the Anniversary Macintosh that was a white PowerBook 170? :)

The Bose Sound System made rebooting a pleasure. :)

"Did I accidentally reboot the village I live in instead of my Mac?"

The 20th Anniversary Mac was considered a costly failure, much like the Cube.

Why would Apple in their right mind ever produce such a frivolous item again?

the TAM was supposed to be a limited edition "look at us we're cool" mac rather than a profit making machine, The Steve will probably re-write the history books when no-one's looking to make the cube the same

Originally posted by itanium
The 20th Anniversary Mac was considered a costly failure, much like the Cube.

Why would Apple in their right mind ever produce such a frivolous item again?
'

I think the cube and 20th are kick ass Macs. The Cube is a fine machine. Its just the $10,000 price tag on the 20th was a little much!

" I just wanted to add a comment about the 20th Anniversary Mac. I was actually selling macs retail at the time of it's release and there was a very Apple-esque promotion based around the celebration. You mention that it started at a retail of $10 K. But what this included was that a limo would deliver the Mac to your house, and a man in a Tuxedo would set it up for you. We only had one customer who actually went through with this, but as far as I know, the setup was delivered as described. Not bad for $10 K."

hardy har har.

It's called luxury marketing. Read it up. They're still doing it, btw.

You give something to the market. Something exclusive (something that excludes us mortals). Like a 10K TAM. People crave it. They won't buy it though. But they can still buy a Mac. It won't cost them a fortune, although it's still going to be more expensive than your poorer neighbour's beige PC.

They're still doing this, as I mentioned. The PowerBook is something exclusive. It's not cheap, in fact it's among the top end (price wise) notebooks out there and has a style that makes people crave for it. They (the mortals again) probably won't buy it, but they'll buy a piece of the dream of owning a TiBook when buying an iBook.

So, although the 20th A. Mac - of course! - didn't make sense in the sense that everybody would buy one, it TOTALLY made sense for the marketing. When it was introduced, magazines like Vogue, magazines like Playboy, magazines like WIRED, magazines like GQ they were all drooling for the item. And made their readers drool. And the goal was to sell more lower end Macs.

I'm certain, the Cube had a similar effect, although I'm not sure that this was the exact goal of Apple there. (I guess Apple really thought there was a need for smaller towers and less need for expansion.) I know several people who were totally Windows. They came to me saying that the Cube was cool, that the Ti was cool but that they were too expensive. And they ended up buying iBooks and iMacs, one even got the last Ti they had in a store, as he got it much cheaper.

So. This just to explain why it made sense to produce a limited edition totally-high-end 20th Anniversary Macintosh. And why it would make sense to have such an item in Apple's line again, maybe for the 30th?

I bought one of these from some rich guy about half a year ago. I haven't had money since that ;)

I've been thinking about picking up one of these on eBay to setup as a CD player/wheather station on my living room (although I'll have to move the PowerCD :D ).

Back