!2inch powerbook G4 hardrive swap to a 15inch powerbook G$

phibaroptik

Registered
Hi, brand new to the forums and dont have time to look through search.

I have a Vice President who needs his MAc serviced. it is a 12inch G4 powerbook. Apple is " funny" and thinks I am goign to send out the apple with the current harddrive which has propreitary government data on it. I have a 15inch powerbook that is not being used and would like to do a hardrive swap.

I have no idea if the hardware is similar or entirely different. MY thought is that the only difference is the actualy size of the LCd screen. The chipsets and other drivers/hardware are the same.

Can someoen confirm this? Or has anyone attempted this?

Thanks a bunch

Did your boss or organization purchase this PowerBook through a government contract? I only ask since I work for the education system and most of our purchases are done through the educational division of a vendor. You might want to talk to Apple's government sales department or government customer service to see what exactly needs to be done. If the laptop has sensitive material on it Apple's government division should be aware of the proper procedures for such issues.

Good luck.

No it was a normal vendor purchase. Actually I am not sure of the exact data involved in the scenario but that is not the issue. I have already swapped another harddrive that needed service for another user on a 15inch powerbook to another 15inch. Apple had no idea.

Oh well....if it worked then great. But you might want to find out for future reference.

Regardless, government entities should have a service contract with manufacturers of this hardware that would cater to government purchases. This is how it is in the public educational system where I'm at anyways. Should be somewhat similar in the government sector.

It has government contract info on it. The company I work for has contracts with the governemnt, not a government division. Sorry for the confusion

phibaroptik said:
It has government contract info on it. The company I work for has contracts with the governemnt, not a government division. Sorry for the confusion

OK, now I understand.....thanks for the clarification. :)

anyway to answer you question, yes, they should be the same kind of hard drive, interface wise, and should be easy to swap out.

Back