3rd & 4th hard drive

wildchild

Registered
Hello all I have a Power Mac G4 400mhz machine with a primary 80gb hard drive running OSX and a second 10gb hard drive running Mac 0S9 I have two other drives that I want to install into my Mac but cant figure out how. I see the power harness for two more drives but nothing else. Also where do I plug them into the main board ?

Thanks

Dan

Unless you have added in an extra IDE card, your Mac can theoretically support up to three hard drives plus the optical drive (CD, CD-R, DVD, etc.) assuming you have kept yours.

You can stack the second drive on top of the default drive as you should see the slave IDE connector hanging out in the open.

If you get a proper length IDE drive cable, you can put the third hard drive next to the first two in the middle of the machine which I would recommend for better heat dispersion.

Otherwise, you can rip out the tray for the ZIP drive and put a drive in there but it gets pretty tight (and hot).

Cheers.

lol, yea i put mine IN the zip tray, to my surprise it fits, but it doesn't seem all that hot, actually not hot at all, I kinda wish i put a few holes in the tray though, but it's only the original 10 gig, no big deal. Now i wish I waited before buying the 2 30gigs, i could have gotten some 120 gigs or something, o well, new machine will join this one soon.

Back