3rd-Party Airport card for iBook?

OrganLeroy

Registered
The old (non-Extreme) Airport card in my G3 iBook has crapped out. Apple apparently no longer sells the old-style Airport card, and all the ones on eBay seem ridiculously overpriced.

Is there a third-party solution for an internal card? My iBook has no external PC slot, so that's not an option.

I tried a D-Link USB Wi-Fi adaptor, but their driver is so out of date that it's incompatible with OSX 10.3.4. Has anyone else had luck with a USB Wi-Fi adaptor on an iBook?

There are quite a few people on eBay (in the UK at least) who sell unbranded AirPort cards. They're not much cheaper than the AirPort ones, but they are still cheaper and work fine.

The one I got was made by IBM. It's possible IBM also sells these to someone else who shoves their branding on them (or sell them themselves), but I'm afraid I don't know if this is the case.

So should I assume that none of the usual suspects (Linksys, Netgear, etc)'s wireless notebook cards can go in an iBook G3's old-style internal Airport slot?

You are going to need a card that has a lucent connector in order to use the internal antenna and even then it could be iffy at best.

DLink sells a USB key type one for around $50 if you don't mind it sticking out from the side of the laptop and loosing a USB port. It's pretty similar to the Bluetooth adapter they sell.

mdnky said:
DLink sells a USB key type one for around $50 if you don't mind it sticking out from the side of the laptop and loosing a USB port. It's pretty similar to the Bluetooth adapter they sell.

Yes...I tried it. It worked very poorly when it worked at all. Their OS X driver seems to be about 3 versions behind the curve, and it didn't play nicely with my iBook at all.

Back