9.2.2 useage on G4 without OSX - to Cheryl

Tedkoe

Registered
ref to your previous answers on regarding the subject title

Hi Cheryl,

Sorry to trouble you all. My first question and it's as long winded as War and Peace!

Quick background.

I am a UK based graphic designer of many years.

Been on Macs since about 1989... the arc days!

I have a G4 running OS 9.2.2.

I have avoided OSX due to issues with Local Print companies I use and they all still use OS 9 running the Quark 4 variants plus the Heidelberg scanner software does not work on OSX... all boring issues but one day I will make the leap and change all the software but until then...

This is a two fold problem.

I have recently had trouble with Acrobat 5.0.5 and 5.0.10... everything for print is via PDF these days so it is critical that it works.

I'll open a document and use the bar function or keyboard shortcut 'go to page' or 'insert page' or 'delete page' or 'extract pages' or 'replace page' and the Programme crashes with a warning type 1 error has occurred flag up. Sometimes it has been type 2 or 3 error.
I've tried increasing the memory but it has little effect. I've re installed and still does it.
It works fine with the command 'go to next page' or 'go to previous view' but dislikes the mentioned commands. I can manually scroll to those pages but can't seem to use the command functions mentioned. It will also crash when I go to File - Document properties - Summary

I have Acrobat 4 (full version) on my system as well and that does not exhibit the same problems apart from go to File - Document properties - Summary.

now I have carbonlib 1.6 freshly installed and when I turn extensions off and just start with all ext off it came up with "InterfaceLib--GetComponentResource (and that I might have to install a newer version) "

that is the reason I found your site
when I searched and found this...
http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.php/q3970/Macintosh-Error-Message.html

but also on the search this came up
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/328155.html

It basically states,

Error "InterfaceLib-GetComponentResource could not be found" when installing an Adobe product (Mac OS 9.2.x)

Issue

When you try to install Adobe Acrobat 5.x, Adobe PhotoShop 7.0.x, or Adobe InDesign 2.x in Mac OS 9.2.x, the installer returns the error "The application Install [product] could not be opened because InterfaceLib--GetComponentResource could not be found. You may need to install a newer version of InterfaceLib--GetComponentResource."

Detail

Components from different versions of QuickTime are installed. (To check versions of QuickTime components, see Background information.)

Solution: Install QuickTime 6.0, and then install the Adobe product with the base set of extensions enabled.

I have QuickTime 6.0.3

So Adobe are indicating this for OS9.2.x, whether that means the 9.2.2 version or not I cannot ascertain.

firstly do you think that my problems with Acrobat 5.0.10 (and possibly other gremlins) is down to OS 9.2.2 running without OSX on board , though Acrobat does work after a fashion, or is it possible I have a damaged extension as I can get Acrobat to work apart from the functions I mentioned which I do use on a regular basis.

This is a recent problem and I have been running OS 9.2.2 for some time (a year approx at least) with Quark 4, Photoshop 6, Illustrator 10, Freehand 10 etc. without too much problem.

I have had many other colleagues running OS 9.2.2 with Quicktime 6 and Arcobat 5.0.5 without any problems.

Any ideas on this?

Cheers Ted

Back