9GB & 80GB - on which to install?

CHEETAH

Registered
Hi!

On which harddrive should I install Tiger? My 9GB (original) or the internal 80GB I bought some time ago?

I've heard it could be good to have system and stuff on different harddrives for better performance. That would mean it's better to install on the 9GB - but is it true?

Thanks for help!

/CHEETAH

Definitely better to install the system on the 9GB drive and leave the other for your data, that way if you have to do a clean install you can erase that volume and you data should be safe.

Just remember to change the default locations in apps like iTunes or they will save to the system disk anyway

9GB isn't enough, IMO. You need space for apps, your Home folder, caches, virtual memory space, etc.

You could partition your 80GB drive if you want to split your system from other stuff.

Well, 4.xgb will be tiger dedicated. Then there would be something like 4gb left for all your apps and your Library including emails, songs, pictures. It's not easy to redirect these to your 80gb disc. I would rather install on the 80gb disk if you doubt 4gb will be enough for your apps and some files.

on the 80gb for sure. i made the mistake before of having too small of a partition for Panther and i was always having to move stuff or maintain it. also if you have a superdrive and want to burn with the finder, you will need 4.7gb of free space on the drive your OS is on.

I would install on the 80 and leave the 9 for file backup. If anything, you will get a performance decrease splitting your system and files. The only way that would not be true is if you are bumping up against hard drive capacity and, thus, not allowing virtual memory to function properly or maybe if the 9 is a higher RPM drive.

Keep in mind that depending on the Mac you have (especially early Old World and New World G3-based Macs), you have to install OS X on the first 8GB partition space, otherwise you will not be able to boot. Newer systems (G4s, white iBooks, and up) shouldn't have this problem.

well i have that same type of a situation on my server. i have panther installed on the original 6 gig and then i have 5 other drives for all my data. granted i don't install all the programs like photoshop and route 66 and ilife and those otherr space hogging apps on that machine, but i NEVER keep files(besides prefs) in my home directory anyways so that is not an issue for me.

I should also point out that virtual memory can use up to 4GB of space. So ideally, you should try to leave at least that much free on your boot volume.

On my setup, I keep most of my stuff on my 30gb boot partition. I have a second, 10gb partition I use for downloads and video files and stuff; things that are large and frequently overwritten. This helps reduce fragmentation on my boot volume, which is the only real performance benefit.

Another advantage to partitioning is that it makes backing up a bit easier, because if you ever want to reinitalize one of your volumes, you don't need to back up everything on your entire disk, just the one partition you're reinitializing.

Back