A short browser proposal

ApeintheShell

Registered
brief history lesson:
I dont remember when cyberdog came out. I'm guessing system 7.5 but i didn't even know it was around.
But what i do remember was the excitement of starting up Netscape.
It was actually cool to have Netscape 3.0 Gold.
Than with Netscape 4 we were introduced to communicator. It was a browser to be proud about. Than as the mac community does from time to time we turned to the dark side. Internet Explorer was gaining momentum and Netscape was put out to pasture.
But when Mac OS 9 emerged it's ugly head we got our first glimpse of the new Internet Explorer. It wasn't like Netscape but it was something new.
Now i zoom to the present.
We have OmniWeb, Opera*gag*, IE 5.2.2, Mozilla, Chimera, iCab?, Netscape 6.2.
A slew of choices to choose from.
I don't want to debate which is better because you could look that up on "search".
Proposal:
In Mac OS X 10.2 Sherlock is very decent.
With credit to watson i guess. It used to crash in 10.1 but now it's useful.
Anyways, you know where this is headed. Intergrate the browser aspect. Instead of requesting another browser.
Apple already has a worthy browser in my opinion. It would fit their style to do that and it wouldn't fade away like some other browsers.
Cyberdog just came out in the wrong decade with not so worthwhile features.
Well thanks for listening

Lest we forget, the coolest thing about CyberDog was that it was based on OpenDoc... a technology which, rather than focussing on the application, focussed on the document. You could put text, pictures, movies, links, and even parts of web pages in one document. Everything was drag and drop based.

I loved this stuff.... in theory, it's dang cool.... in reality, it was kinda slow... (at least, it was on my Performa 6400), and it never caught on with developers, because they had to write "parts" specifically for OpenDoc.

I'm sure all of us would like to see CyberDog's spirit live on in some way...

I personally could care less if a web browser is integrated into the OS. I like having the option of using any browser I choose. Even on my Windows machine I don't use the integrated IE - I use Phoenix/Mozilla, so integration is useless to me. The only nice thing about integrating the browser is so that the application startup time is absorbed in the system startup time - I can do the same by having my default browser start at system startup.

Cyberdog was indeed cool though.

Back