About to buy, but need guidance on existing peripherals

SusanSwitcher

Registered
Hi - after the latest round of software incompatibilities that I can't resolve, I'm 90% committed to buying an iMac and going through the switch process.
A couple of questions....

a) I use a nice little Sony voice-recorder, the ICD-MS515. It records in MSV format. Is there an Apple program that can read and edit this format? This would be one of the main reasons I would have to keep Windows, because the Memory Stick Voice Editor software does not appear to be available for MAC.

b) if I buy Parallel, I will still need to buy a version of Windows XP, in order to run windows programs, is that correct? (I don't think I'll be able to reinstall my current XP Pro software in a new machine)

c) won't I have the same maintenance problems with Windows in a VM environment that I now have? And if I do, can these problems somehow "slop over" into my MAC, creating system instabilities, etc.???

d) if I get the iMac and set it up without Parallel, how difficult is it to partition the drive later and create a Windows installation?

e) my current notebook PC has card slots that read various different chips, like memory-stick, SAN, etc. This does not appear to come with the MACs, is that correct? I do have cables, but they're not as convenient as just sticking in the chip. Any suggestions?

f) I have a wireless router in my house already, which will still be connecting to the other PCs. Will I be able to hook up my iMac to this router? Or do I have to create a separate network with the air-port. Would you expect problems if I do this?

Many thanks to everyone for your help!

a) It should work according to http://www.speechware.be/english/hard_hand_held.php

b) Yes, for it to be legal, you would need to buy Windows XP

c) Nope, windows installs and runs completly seperately then mac. Windows installs under one single file, sort of like a "zip file in windows where more files are inside of that one file.

d) Well, I can't say for sure because I've only used Parallel, but I've found a lot of success with Parallel and would suggest it because otherwise you need to run bootcamp and need to restart your computer every time you want to boot into windows or mac.

e) There are external card drives that you can buy that work pretty seamlessly with mac

f) I currently run a wireless n router and share it with a dell laptop and I havn't run into any problems at all. It works with your router without any special configurations.

From what I understand with your post, it sounds like you'll be running windows quite a bit. I hate to say it but, is there a reason for you to buy a mac? I mean, even though I love my mac and wouldn't switch back to a pc, if all your programs are for windows only and it would take a lot of adapting to get it working with your mac, I would suggest to stick with a pc. However, if you're like me which only uses one or two programs where I have to boot into windows every once in a while, then you'll really enjoy a mac!

Welcome to forum Susan, and welcome to the greener side of the fence. :D

a) hope someone with first hand experience will answer soon.

b) yes, you "need" a new copy of Windy, one of the reasons Redmond is not in total panic - yet.

c) Windows is windows, even in the VM. I run mine (for two specific programs) with the ethernet adapter disconnected. - As for "slopping over", I hope more knowledgeable folks will chime in, but the viruses that run in Windows are not executeable in OS X. And - you have to make effort to get files available to you in OS X, unless you specifically save them through Parallels Shared Folders to a folder in the OS X space, they aren't visible to you. I feel relatively safe.

d) through boot-camp, no problem - though you probably want to download a copy and keep it safe, since Apple could pull it off the market without prior notice. Personally I didn't like the reboot to run the scheduling software I need from the other side, so I went with Parallels. RAM is an issue though, if you want Parallels running in the background. I want to max-out the MacBook to get better performance (presently with xx1.5xx 1.25 gig) switching back and forth.

e) though not as convenient as being on the laptop all the time, there are many solutions of external boxes or thumb drives that plug into USB an read many different card formats. Put one on the desk, or toss it into the bag.

f) most home routers (wireless or otherwise) will recognize and configure the iMac without any problem. If the automatic setting in Network Pref-Pane doesn't get you online, the individual location settings are as straightforward as it gets, though you'll have to know what you're doing in that department. The pref-pane give you access to all the settings you'll need.

Hope that starts you out - welcome once again.

I can only answer (f). Airport should connect to your network. I have had no problem at many places - mainly hotels. Plug in and it offers you the network!!

Wow, these are really helpful answers, thanks so much!
I am presently working through just how I am going to switch the various Windows programs over.
I'm not actually too excited about the potential need to have Windows running as well. What I may do instead is get the iMac desktop set up, start using it, and keep the current notebook for when I must have Windows. If I only have mission critical software on it, I think should be okay.

I just find I am at the point where I am almost afraid to download or install any new software, even upgrades, because they inevitably seem to lead to issues and slowdowns that take FOREVER to resolve. What someone in another thread called, "the slow descent into cr**".

I am thinking if I go to the trouble now to switch, I could have the next 20 or 30 years of computing be much less painful... so make the investment now.

Plus, I am a design junkie, and still shocked at how ugly most PC computing equip is.
Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Back