Accessing OLD aol e-mails

evanopp

Registered
Well...thanks to some child support issues, I need to access e-mails from the late 90's. I was using AOL back in those days (2.6 and 2.7), and I pulled e-mails out of the Inbox (what they had in those days, the Personal Filing Cabinet came in with 3.0) and saved them in separate folders, by date.

I realized that if I could get all the e-mails back into one of those applications, then I could update the application to 5.0, from there into AOL for OS X, and then into Apple Mail -- and I'd have permanent access to all those old e-mails. Easy. But...

I found AOL 2.7 (did all of this also with 2.6, with the same results), but when I tried to put the old e-mails back into the Inbox, they wouldn't show up when I launched the application! The problem, I assume is with the...uh...well, I don't know what it's called, but it's a file with the icon of a mailbox with the red bar flipped up, and I think it keeps track of what's actually in the appropriate mailbox. (Each AOL account has one of these with the name of the user name, and also a folder within the same parent folder (Online Mail) that says "UserName" Mail.) Anyway, when I add e-mails to that Mail folder, I can't make them show up in actual Inbox when I launch the application, no matter what I do. (And if I try upgrading with that Inbox, the new e-mails continue not to show up.)

So...how do I make that "Mailbox Icon" file recognize the e-mails that I've added to the attendant Mail folder? Many many thanks to anyone who can help with this.

Back