ADC developers

b4tn

Registered
I just joined up with ADC in hopes of helping with future OS developement and beta testing. I cant find anywhere where to get developer releases of OS X. Am I missing something? I am very hard on my OS and push it to its limit on a daily basis i think it would be fun to beta test. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

If you want to get developer seeds of OS X, you will need to pay, and I think the prices are pretty steep – upwards of $1000.

You can download the free developer tools and the other software available if you're just a regular developer, but you can't get seeds of OS X.

hmmmm pay for a incomplete OS? That sounds really dumb! If you ask me they should pay us for our time spent testing! I guess I will stick to hotline. here I am trying to do this legit to.

It's not really paying for the beta OS.. It's $1000+ for becoming a full ADC member.

For your money you get access to all kinds of Apple stuff, priority support, conferences, and heaps of stuff like that (which would be cool if you were a professional development company.)

They are trying to limit it's distribution to only professional mac developers. I don't think Apple intended people to consider becoming a full ADC member just to get their hands on the beta :rolleyes:

Here's hoping a they put the next beta out as a public beta.

The only problem with a public beta is that all the people who don't know what they are doing will rush out and install it, and when their computers start fuming out the joints, Apple will get a bad rap for releasing bad software.

Leave the beta testing to the beta testers ;)

Select membership is 500$ a year.
Premier membership is 3500$ a year.

You can read all about it at http://developer.apple.com ...

You'll get access to the newest builds of Apple's software, so you can develop for new trends in Apple's directions early on. You'll also get mailings containing the Seed CDs, so you don't have to download every build of Jaguar you'll get access to but can wait for the mail to arrive. (snail mail...)

If you're an 'advanced user' - as many are, I believe - and want to beta test only (without paying), you can get the betas through illegal (!) means. Often a developer (or a friend of a friend of a developer) will make toast images of developer seed software and upload them to a server of the Gnutella (Limewire), Hotline or Carracho network.

500$ for the Select ADC membership is not too much for a software developer who needs access to the kind of information and software seeds that Apple kindly provides. You'll also get the final versions of Apple's software through the Developer Seed program. Depending on how many products Apple hands out this way, you may even go cheaper that way than pirating the seed software and buying the final products.

Always keep in mind that Apple is the hardware and software company that makes the friendly computers and the operating system (and maybe even the high end applications) you are using to make money with. It's the case with me, and I'm always eager to pay the cheapo prices Apple charges for the great new releases of their software, which made all of my Macs up to now far greater machines than they were when I bought them. Thus I do pay for their software. It's a win-win situation.

Tanks for the info. I am not a company and I dont use Macs proffesionaly. I actually am a PC network Admin who uses a mac at home (if only the Gov would see the light). I love my mac and I always kick myself when I realize it took my friend 10 years to convert me over. I would consider my self an advanced user and because I love my mac so much I wanted to help with development of new OS's. I did end up going the Hotline route but i really wanted to do it legit. But for 500 dollars a year its just not worth it to me. I suppose if I was a buisness owner it might be but I just use my mac at home for fun really. Oh well.

Back