Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 and Safari

Viro

Registered
I'm having loads of problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 and Safari. For some reason, Acrobat Reader seems to want to install a plug-in in Safari to enable it to view PDFs inline. This wouldn't be a problem, if the plug-in didn't always either lock up the browser, or cause Safari to crash.

Going to the Adobe preferences, I get to choose to not uninstall the plugin, but for some reason if I restart my laptop and open Acrobat Reader, it still chooses to install the plugin for Safari. This is really annoying.

I'm wondering if I'm the only person facing this problem? If there are others, can anything be done to solve this problem, short of removing Acrobat Reader?

The plugin is probably in "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins" or "~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins". Delete it from there.

The Adobe plugin is horribly slow.

If you manage to get the Adobe Reader Plug-In to stay uninstalled, then you might try PDF Browser Plug-In for a free alternative. I've been using it for some time now, and I've no complaints. The same website also hosts a plugin for displaying MS Word .doc files straight in the browser too.
Out of curiousity, why is it that you need Adobe Reader when Preview does such a fine job? I'm genuinely curious. Does it offer some functionality not found in Preview?
Cheers,
SiR G

There are loads of PDF files that were converted from PostScript that do not display well in Preview, but look beautiful on Acrobat Reader. Many of these are from scientific publications that I read, and Preview displays all the fonts in a very bitmapped, jagged way.

Will try monitoring /Library/Internet Plug-Ins and ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and see what actually happens.

I also read tons of scientific publication every day, and I also hate that since I installed Acrobat Reader 7 the safari plugin was terribly slow... You can find the plug-in in YourHD/Library/Internet Plug-ins, simply delete it, and when you click on view pdf or something like that on a website, the file would be downloaded to your normal location... you can later choose which application you like for reading it... :)

Back