AFP share can't unmount, leaves zombie mount point

blahedo

Registered
This issue has been giving me problems for months.

The network folks here are all Windows guys, so all our servers are NT boxes. They have the package that lets me mount them as AFP shares, so it's all good---for a while.

If I leave them logged in too long without using them (e.g. overnight), then they sort of time out. If they simply unmounted themselves, that'd be fine, but what happens is the socket just closes, and OS X is then unable to unmount the drive. If I click the eject button in the Finder, nothing at all happens. If I try to remount the drives, it accepts my password, lets me double-click on the share (which is not greyed out!), and then does nothing.

If I cd into /Volumes directly, I can see that it has a mount point (/Volumes/Faculty), but if I try to cd to it, I get the error message "Socket is not connected." If I try to mv the "file" elsewhere so that the drive can be remounted, I get the error message "cannot stat `Faculty': Socket is not connected". If I write a program to simply rename() the thing without trying to stat() it first, it returns ENOTCONN (socket not connected), which rename isn't supposed to even be able to return.

I'm pretty sure that the problem would be solved if I could figure out some way to get rid of the zombie file named Faculty, so that the Finder could reuse it as a mount point, but I can't get it to happen with anything short of rebooting the computer. When I called Apple tech support, levels one and two of tech support kept claiming idiotically that this had something to do with hard drive sleep, and when I finally managed to escalate to level three, he offered no help at all and refused to even acknowledge that it was buggy behaviour.

I'm completely at my wit's end here. It's a royal pain to have to keep FTPing files back and forth to the server, and it sucks to have to reboot every day or two. Does anyone have any ideas?

Back