Airport not detecting networks after sleep or reboot

Gnomo

Registered
Recently my Airport card in my iBook (2001) started misbehaving. It began as with the card not detecting any wireless networks after waking from sleep or switch users. For a while this could be resolved by turning the airport card off and on a few times.

The it started causing SystemUIServer to hang when rebooting, changing users, or awaking from sleep, causing the menu bar (clock, battery, etc) to disappear.

Here's what I've tried thus far:
  1. Deleting com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
  2. Deleting com.apple.airport.preference.plist
  3. Repairing permissions - many times, even from the OSX install CD
  4. Resetting the PRAM
  5. Installing the Airport 4.2 update
  6. Installing the Airport Update 2005-001
  7. Installing the 10.4.4 Update
  8. Reinstalling (Clean) 10.4
All of which have had little or no affect on the problem.

If I leave the computer alone for long enough, eventually the SystemUIServer starts responding again and the menu bar loads, but Airport does not detect any networks.

My wife was able to get it to work a few times by turning the airport card off and powering down the system and then restarting, but this doesn't alway work.

I was able to capture an error message from the console.log, but I could not find anything when I Googled the message
Code:
Mac OS X Version 10.4.4 (Build 8G32)
2006-01-11 16:38:59 -0600
2006-01-11 16:39:02.606 SystemUIServer[75] lang is:en
Jan 11 16:40:56 localhost mDNSResponder: mDNSPlatformSendUDP sendto failed to send packet on InterfaceID 01808E00 lo0/4 to 224.0.0.251:5353 skt 9 error -1 errno 65 (No route to host) 2011216693
readHCFInfo : airPortExec returns error: e00002e9

A friend of mine suggested that I try KisMAC since it uses it's own driver for the Airport card. So, I downloaded the program and ran it when my Aiport card was not working. It detected 15 different networks in my Apt complex.

Most were too weak to appear for more than a second and then never appeared again. Also, my network is the only one on channel 1. The majority of the others are on channel 6.

Can anyone tell me what the error I get means? Is my Airport card dying? Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my Airport card working again?

Per your suggestion, I took the card out and put it back in. After powering the machine back on the network came up immediately (something that hasn't happened in a long time). But... since I can't leave good enough alone, I had to try putting the computer to sleep, logging out/in, and rebooting.

The network continued to work after awaking from sleep and logging out/in, but when I rebooted the computer, it stopped. Now it is back to where it was before.

I'm gonna have to chalk this one up to interference. I moved recently and have not had any further problems.

Back