Airport Questions

freaky

OSXer
I would like to make my home network wireless so I can use my laptops anywhere inside of my house. I currently have a Linksys 4 port Firewall Router and was wondering if I will still need this when I get the Airport Extreme. Would it be better to use both since the Linksys has a built-in hardware firewall?

If I should only use the Airport, will I be able to hook up my computers that have regular ethernet card (w/ wires) without any problems? Also, if only using the Airport, will moving large data files (hundreds of MBs or even GBs) be faster than using the Linksys router? How can I make it so it will be faster (Mbps)?

Is the Airport with the modem just make it so if you're travelling and you want to access the Internet through a dial-up it will connect? Or is this required in order to access the Internet even when using DSL?

Will my neighbors be able to access my network or the Internet through my wireless network?

Sorry if some of these questions sound stupid but I haven't really done anything wireless even though it's been out for a while now.

Since you already have a router, I would suggest you to pick a third party accesspoint without routing-function. You will save some bucks and you mustn't go with the apple airport base station. There are cheap 802.11g accesspoints out there. However, you got theoretically 54mbit/sec but practically there are only 20mbit/sec. This ain't really suitable for gb-transfers. I would suggest you to hook you powerbook to the lan ports of your router once you want to transfer big files. You will save a lot of time this way. For surfing the 54mbit/sec are more than enough. And of course you can hook up all your other computers to the router or if you really want to buy a airport base station even there. Advantage in keeping your current router is that you will have more ethernet plugs when you go for an accesspoint which will bring at least another 4 plugs..

If your neighbors are close enough and there are no physical obstructions between you, they will be able to access your network and the internet but only if you allow them to, either by failing to enable encryption or by deliberately providing them the encryption key. And in addition to the safeguard provided by encryption, enabling MAC filtering will give you specific control over network access through include/exclude lists. Anyway, you should be able to share a good broadband connection with a limited number of clients without noticing any hit in performance.

Forget the Airport Base Station and get a wireless router. Just one piece of hardware. Wireless routers are much cheaper than Airport and usually work better. Netgear is a good one. I have the Netgear 814 and works better for range than my Snow Base Station.

Hey freaky, I was wondering: how do you have an AE card in your Titanium Powerbook?

Since dlloyd started asking: how did you get the DDR mem into your tiBook? ;)
Guess you should edit your signature, freaky :)

Maybe he really does, maybe he's the new wave we could stand to learn something from :)

I wouldn't mind to get airport extreme and DDR memory into my tiBook. This thread certainly got my attention ;)

So would it be best to just get an access point and keep using my Linksys router or should I get a Linksys wireless router and not using my current router anymore? Is there a firewall built into the wireless router? I used to have a Netgear router and now have a Linksys. I like my Linksys router more so I think I'll stick with them. :) Which one below would be best to go with?

Linksys Access Point
Linksys Wireless Router

I've also fixed the error in my sig! :)

I had the Airport Base and a Links wired router and got the Netgear when the Links went bad. I like having just one item for this, rather than an access point and router.

I would also prefere one box for all this. However, you should check the prices. Both ways will work.
Btw, you sure you fixed your sig? Man, am I fussy today ;)

maybe I'm missing something here, as I was just warming up my wallet to buy an Airport Extreme Base Station myself until I read this post...
I'll admit that some of this network talk has me turned around.

I thought the reason to go with the AEBS was that it allows greater bandwidth than some of the other options, as well as direct control over the effective range of your network and handy feature like USB printer sharing . The fact that the firmware updates are easily accessible via Software Update eases my mind, but the earlier post got me Googling for some reviews...

There have been a lot of complaints about the 'Extreme' price tag of the AEBS, lack of a configurable firewall, intrusion alerts, and the standard four-port Ethernet switches. Users and reviewers have noticed significant signal dropouts at distances over 25 feet, poor performance in 'mixed' networks with Macs and PCs, and compatability problems with major ISPs (like my provider, Comcast, which has had some issues with IP addresses). Since I'm trying to set up a home network that would include a G4 tower, a Dell Inspiron, and a G3 ibook over about 1000 sq ft , I was bummed to hear that the USB printer sharing won't necessarily work on the Dell. And since I've got a brand-new Cable Modem from my ISP, having an all-in-one device has lost its allure. What a guy to do?
The antenna on the AEBS has taken some heat too, and I'm wondering if anyone can say whether another router/transmitter would transmit from within a closed cabinet?

I'm not sure of the others, but I had the original Airport then switched to an Extreme Station when I got my G4 iBook at the beginning of the year. Both worked great and the Extreme is much better.
Security is there and the only time I had any problems was resetting the password via airport admin utility when I first got the Extreme Station and was using an iBook with an Extreme Card and one with a normal Airport card.
I get good signal everywhere in my place and I can get a working signal by the pool *I'm in a third-floor apartment* 99% of the time.
Sorry to jump the thread, just wanted to post my $.02 of vocal support for AirPort.

Save yourself some money. get a Netgear or other wireless router. It'll do what AP does, and USB printer sharing will work with your Dell.

If you are set on getting something 'Apple', and don't have 802.11g computers, get the second gen Airport Base, it's never given me any problems, and the range is better than the AE base with out the antenna. Of course, no printer sharing but...

If I was buying something now, I wouldn't go with the airport base station though.

Back