Alcatel speed touch

olivierknut

Registered
Hi all,

I have installed the Alcatel Spedd Touch ADSL driver for Mac OS X on a powerbook G3 400.

This triggers system's crashes, but I was not able to repeat a specific sequence which causes the crash.

Does anybody knows how to solve that problem?

Thanks

I don't know where you're based, but I've found this website to be a useful reference for all things ADSL -- there's a Mac forum there:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk

Hope that helps. I don't have ADSL yet, so can't comment on how useful it is, but people seem pretty knowledgeable there.

Couldn't agree more. The experienced people on the Mac forum there were extremely helpful when I was first getting myself set up with ADSL

I use an Speed Touch ADSL modem from Alcatel, and I have never had any problems with it (and Mac OS X) all at. How come you need to install a driver? I never installed that. I simply used the TCP/IP, PPPoE from the Network in System Preferences. :)

Kris

Do you not have cable modem service where you are? If it's available, it's almost a sure bet that it's better than ADSL.

Originally posted by chenly
Do you not have cable modem service where you are? If it's available, it's almost a sure bet that it's better than ADSL.
No flames, I'm just intrigued why you'd say that. Surely it's all down to contention rates, selected bandwidth options, and so forth?

For example, in the UK most consumer ADSL solutions are 512k downstream, 256k upstream with 50:1 contention.

Cable's no different here AFAIK. It's certainly no cheaper now that ADSL solutions are available from £23 per month... And anyway, cable isn't available where I live -- ADSL is!

512kbps down/256kbps up is only ~£23 per month? That's around $45 US, right? ADSL in Minneapolis, Minnesota (middle of the continental US right on 45º north latitude) starts at $50 US per month, plus $20 for ISP fees. The problem is that $20 of that is for an analog phone line; you can't get just the ADSL. Even if that were removed, tho', you've still got a much better deal. Thankfully, cable internet is onlt $45 per month complete, plus it NEVER gets below 1Mbps downstream, and is consistently above 2Mbps. The upstream speed is rated at 384kbps but is typically around 250.

Back