Anti-Spyware for OSX?

How could you register software if it did not communicate with its home base? That is necessary, not spying.

When you connect to register an app you are aware of your computer making the connection... most of the time you authorize it directly. Obviously. Or, sometimes, an application might inform you that it intends to make an external connection, and offers you the opportunity to approve it or intervene.

However, some people are quite surprised when they find that an application makes an (unnecessary or unwarranted) connection without their authorization or consent (it being their computer).

It's (arguably) correct for software companies to police their products in this way, however, many people rightfully have an issue with their computer making connections without their express permission.

It is not spyware in the traditional sense (ie. the definition of spyware), but for many people it represents a covert level of surveillance.

Must be because of my MAD SKILLZZZ!!!!!!!!! ;

Doug the HAx0R

P.S. The mad skillz thing above is a joke, see? So is the "Doug the HAxOR" thing. It's supposed to poke fun at the computing community's insistence that one needs malware protection software on ANY machine, including Macs. I just explained my joke. How detailed is that?

Nice one! I didn't get the joke at first, it's deep. Now that you have explained it in painstaking detail, it's actually very, very funny. :rolleyes:

um... is there a Anti-Spyware for OSX?

I am the admin but using a limited account just to be safe.

I just used the google search and a very few anti-spyware result show up but i dont trust them, one of them is Norton.... *shivers* no thanks for Norton.

Anyone know a free one? if there is a good shareware, then im willing to pay for it.

In answer to your original question, YES, there is an Anti-Spyware application developed specifically for Mac OS X - it is called Little Snitch!

:D

It will alert you when an application tries to make an outside connection
(i.e. "phone home") and allow you to automatically block that specific
app from phoning home in the future.

I also don't run AV & spyware on my iBook, plus I recently installed FireFox 2.0
and continue to surf thee net problem free( knock on wood). It also does help that I have a firewall on my DSL modem & my wireless router.

Spyware doesn't go 'kill' or make your computer 'sick' - all it needs to do is collect info from your without you knowing.

Just because you are not sick or anything doesn't mean you aren't being spied!!!

Back