Antialiasing

lelereb

Registered
I've tryed to change the antialiasing level on several apple laptop, but always with no result. I don't se any difference, what's wrong?

I've tryed to do this on exposed apple laptops, a pb12, a pb15 and an iBook14.

Thanks.

You should realise that the antialiasing is an effect on a very small scale - right down to individual pixels. It effects the edges of screen fonts and graphics, smoothing them. The different levels of anti-aliasing all achieve much the same effect, but some will look clearer than others.

I'm not sure about how Apple implements their 'Standard - best for CRT', Light, 'Medium - best for flat panel', and Strong preset font smoothing algorithms, but here is as fine of a control as you can get (as far as setting a font size threshold:
defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' AppleAntiAliasingThreshold x
(where x is the point size to set the threshold).

Example: to antialias fonts 14 point and below:
defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 14

Originally posted by gatorparrots
Example: to antialias fonts 14 point and below:
defaults write 'Apple Global Domain' AppleAntiAliasingThreshold 14 [/B]

This is the most satisfying system tweak I've done. I highly recommend it for anyone with a laptop.

Ok for "defaults write ..." but, really, I don't see any difference between the four font smoothing levels, I've a good sight and I'm sure that from the lowest to the maximum smooth level a difference must be visible.

I've tryed to change this setting on an iBook with a 14" at 1024, where single pixels are distinguible on the screen, so if there is no difference between two different smooth level I think it's a bug.

Anyone can confirm or negate this?

DOING THIS WILL MAKE PHOTOSHOP 7 UNABLE TO LAUNCH

i finally figured out what was wrong... great tip and all, but going above 12pt kills ps

Back