Apple distributes X Window system for OS X?

There has been rumbling of GTK+ being moved to OSX. You can compile programs and have them run native OSX rather than have to boot into an Xwindows session. I can't wait for gkrellm to run native on my dsktop. No more rootles Xdarwin for us. :)

This is pretty darn cool that Apple is moving this way. Although it is probably not yet a threat to desktop dominance, I would have to imagine that the merging of Unix and Apple users causes MS some worry. With IBM supporting Linux it seems like there should be a way to for all these companies (Apple, IBM and even poor Sun and Oracle) to coordinate and cooperate on the demise of Microsoft. Every weakness of Microsoft could be countered - stability, security, usability, open source, standards...

Didn't somebody here predict that OS 11 would use X11? Maybe this is a step in that direction. Steve did say officially that Apple loves open source today. Prepping us for bigger, better and more open source things?

I just downloaded it and nothing happens. When I try to run Xterm in my apple terminal it crashes. What's up with that?

I have installed X11 is it me or is this quicker then xdarwin.

I'm running Kde as my windows manager and it all worked wonderfully.

I only have one question what exactly is X11 used for this might be a silly question to some of you but not to me.

Great I can run kde gnome but thats only thanks to fink from my understanding. Can I download any source file and compile it in X11.

Please help me understand

Thanks

Well, I don't know about any source files, but... :)

There are an awful lot of X11 apps that will compile and run correctly on MacOSX if you have an X server on your machine. For instance, I use the Gimp, and BitchX-gtk (IRC client), and a few other assorted apps that have not been ported to Aqua, or just don't exist at all. Yes, I could install Photoshop and the custom MacOSX.com IRC client, but that's a conversation for another thread.

Also, you can run GUI apps on other Unix machines, and have the app displayed on your machine, just like any proper Unix workstation.

This is, to me, one of the most (if not the most) interesting things up today. I'm very interested to see how much better the performance is than OroborX. I'm assuming it will be better. I'm actually looking forward to this more than playing with Safari. (I'm at work, where there are no Macs, so I have to wait until I get home to play... :( )

Originally posted by StarBuck
I have installed X11 is it me or is this quicker then xdarwin.

From the reports I have, its quite a bit faster.

I only have one question what exactly is X11 used for this might be a silly question to some of you but not to me.

X11R6.6 (what Apples X11 product is, as well as XFree 4.2.1) is a graphics server and network protocol. Basically it servers the same function, roughly, as Quartz does; it draws things to the screen. X11 is much more than that though, because it can be streamed acrost a network, enabling you to run applications off a remote machine and have their GUI display on your screen.

Quartz is much more advanced when it comes to graphics, but X11 is the standard on just about every breed of *NIX; infact OS X and maybe QNX are the ony *NIX that don't use it I think.

I started the installer but didn't proceed as I noticed it kept calling this program a "Preview." Does anyone else have further information about whether this is a beta/preview/etc. or the full product with an out of date "Read Me" file?

Unfortunatly quartz-wm does not support Sound (as in XMMS) at this time and when maximizing KDE or GNOME windows, the top (22 pixels) of the wondow are hidden under the Aqua Menu Bar. xDarwin also has full screen Option.

X11 from Apple is a beta. It looks very, very good for a beta. Let's see what this becomes. I'm glad Apple takes such an effort.

So, I went home, and installed this last night. My first reaction was "wow!". This has got to be one of the fastest X implementations I've ever seen. I was playing around with X-chat and the Gimp, among other things, and they felt just as responsive as any of the other Carbon/Cocoa apps on my machine. It's even faster than Classic, which really isn't all that suprising. :)

For a first beta, this is an incredible bit of software. I don't miss the audio bits too much @ the moment, because, after all, there's a full MacOSX environment running beside this that has full (as full as OSX, anyway) support.

But, wouldn't getting audio working simply require the install of the appropriate bits through fink (esound, etc)? Or am I missing something?

Back