apple dvd player

newmacguy2

Registered
I have a Power Mac G3 that was upgraded to a G4. I am trying to get the dvd player to work in OSx 10.1.3 . I have downloaded and installed the the 3.1.1 version of the player. I still get a message that this machine is not configured for this application. Will someone please tell me what I need to do to get the dvd player to work.

Thanks

Not sure about Apple's DVD Player, but if you don't ever get it to work, consider VLC, a free program that will show DVDs, Divx, etc. For me, it's worked very well.

And welcome to MacOSX.com!

Doug

With VLC, look through preferences for an option to "enable CPU Altivec support". It may be hard to find. Look for "CPU" under preferences.

On mine, there are a whole bunch of sections (each marked by a traffic cone) and then a double arrow. Click on the double arrow.

BTW, I'm using 0.5.2.

Doug

Any chance of upgrading to 10.2.X? You might find the support/speed you need.

wasn't there a patch for configuring the apple dvd player to recognize other dvd drives somewhere in the internet?

The " enable CPU Altivec support" was already checked. Any other suggestions? There are so many different preferences, who knows what to select. I just don't understand why other people are now using the Apple DVD player with OSX and mine still won't work. If anybody knows where I can get the patch that "mkwan" mentioned, let me know.

Dave

Upgrading to Jaguar may still be your best bet at this point. Any kind of patch you may need is probably included therein.

Back