Apple DVI to Video Adaptor doesn't work.

For years I have been using a Memorex TV (Radio Shack, MODEL 16-229) as an external monitor for video editing - the TV has two composite inputs (in addition to the standard Coaxial Input), one for Video, the other for monoaural audio (composite meaning RCA jacks). Previously I used a DVRaptor RT-2 system and simply connected the audio and video outputs to the TV's audio and video inputs.

I have a new Mac G5, and purchased the accessory DVI to Video Adaptor that connects to the 2nd video monitor and has a composite video jack (my TV doesn't have an S-Video input). It doesn't work on video, audio is OK. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the TV, I reversed the inputs and notice that the audio signal produces flashes of light in time with the audio signal, that tells me the TV inputs are working, the computer audio output is working, but the new DVI to video adaptor is not sending a video signal.

I opened the preferences screen, and clicked on "display" - I would think I should see two screens, one for the computer's monitor, the other for the external TV, but I only see one screen for the computer monitor. I have no idea what else I should do to even test this further.

At a loss.

Barry

I would try exchanging the adapter for a new one. It may be bad.

On a side note, I've had problems before where I connected my iBook to my TV using the VGA to Video adapter, and the Mac kept trying to output a VGA signal to the TV instead of a NTSC signal. After giggling the cable and a couple reboots, the Mac finally detected the TV properly and sent the correct signal. Maybe your experiencing something similar?

I think you are right, the adaptor might be bad (Apple support didn't even suggest that). I tried it on another TV set with composite inputs and also got sound and no video.

By the way, what's an iBook? I don't see that in my listing of applications.

Barry

Back