Apple Legal pulling G5 / 970 WWDC rumors from MacRumors! (Is this confirmation?)

I sure hope it's true. The G4 is starting to get long in the tooth, isn't it?

Interesting. If the story was the same as in Appleinsider, why haven't they asked AI to take the story down (as sometimes before)? :)

Originally posted by Giaguara
Interesting. If the story was the same as in Appleinsider, why haven't they asked AI to take the story down (as sometimes before)? :)

People have suggested it is because AI is run by a collective of anonymous ops, unlike, say, Macrumors.

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

Maybe because MacRumors for the past few weeks always posting "facts" about the up and coming Apple products? Who knows? Anyways, I cannot wait for Panther and G970... :p :D ;)

:)

Originally posted by hulkaros
Maybe because MacRumors for the past few weeks always posting "facts" about the up and coming Apple products? Who knows? Anyways, I cannot wait for Panther and G970... :p :D ;)

Join us at Apple Expo, 970 should be there... ;)
BTW are you in Athens ?

The bit about a 970 based PowerBook is interesting. There has been a lot of speculation that the PowerBooks won't get the new chip for a while but from what I've seen of the 970's power usage, its still very favourable compared to the x86 chips so wouldn't it be feasible for the new 15" machines to get an upgrade? Hmm, now I just wish I had the money to get a new machine :)

Please don't compare the 970 to Intel's chips and say they would be okay for Apple's PowerBooks. The G4 inside them today is too bloody hot, and the 970 would be a bit hotter (coming out at 1.2 GHz minimum), so I think it's NOT ready for the PowerBooks. Sure, it would be nice to have such a "killer machine", but I wouldn't want it on my laps unless they bring out a notebook version of that chip or lower the frequency below 1 GHz...

Originally posted by fryke
Please don't compare the 970 to Intel's chips and say they would be okay for Apple's PowerBooks. The G4 inside them today is too bloody hot, and the 970 would be a bit hotter (coming out at 1.2 GHz minimum), so I think it's NOT ready for the PowerBooks. Sure, it would be nice to have such a "killer machine", but I wouldn't want it on my laps unless they bring out a notebook version of that chip or lower the frequency below 1 GHz...

Hehe, or they could just make the case a bit larger (Say, 300%...) and stick compressor cooling in there =p Of course, battery life would be reduced to 10 mins, but hey, sometimes you have to give things up... ;)

/GulGnu

just because it's over 1 ghz doesn't inherently make it a hot chip. clock for clock the 970 is actualy a cooler chip than the G4.

The estimated wattage of the 1.2 GHz PPC970 is only 3 watts above that of the 1 GHz PPC7455, so it would work well on the aluminum PowerBooks. The metal on the titanium books barely has any mass at all, and very ineffectively cools the computer down.
They could even clock the chips lower than their rated frequency, and they would run even cooler than the current G4s at the same frequency ;)

The G4 inside them today is too bloody hot, and the 970 would be a bit hotter

No siree.

The PPC970's wattage and heat dissipation are actually quite efficient, and could make it into Powerbooks without a problem.

Not only G970 can be used in PowerBooks because of efficient wattage and heat dissipation while running at 1.2 GHz but for other reasons as well...

For example even at 1 GHz it will perform a lot better than current G4/1GHz solutions because of better architecture overall (64 bits, faster busses, etc.)...

It seems that people here and everywhere else, keep forgetting that the G970 is simply a better cpu compared to G4 because G970 allows all internal components to play better with each other :p :D ;)

You silly clockheads. I think the PPC 970 belongs in notebooks. The feature it needs to make it really sweet is the downclocking that has been a come and go PowerBook feature for many years. If the processor can dynamically downclock itself in times of low load, or by user request, then it could totally rock the socks off of the G4.

Seriously, an iBook with the ability to drop the speed of the CPU whenever it wants to is awesome. The G3 in general is a power miracle. A few years of technology later, they have to have noticed.

Also, I've been predicting a video chat client from Apple for a couple of years now. They have QT, they have a real time operating system, they have the videoconferencing codecs installed by default and the ability to compress low bandwidth movies in real time with processor to spare.

AOL isn't allowed to make a video chat client due to a government regulation to keep them from being a monopoly in chat clients. Quite frankly, I don't understand that one, why can't AOL have a monopoly on chat clients? It's the one oseful thing they've actually brought to the internet...

Anyway, Apple can leverage AOL's userbase, and I'm sure AOL gets cash for this arrangement; and Apple isn't limited with any weird monopoly laws about not making a video chat client. I was surprised not to see something last summer when 10.2 was shown. I'll be truly disappointed if it doesn't show up again.

From what I've heard (random articles here and there), the PPC 970 is supposed to run much more efficently than the G4, and on possibly less wattage, which would make it perfect for notebooks. I could be wrong, but thats what I've heard. ;)

Back