apple menu, or other menus

jcombs_31

Registered
With windows you can simply hit the "window" key and the start menu is brought up. Is there a way to bring up the "apple" menu from the apple at the top left? I find myself needing to access system prefs and other things and want to do with a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks

System Preferences is an application that has a permanent position in the Dock. Is it really that hard to click single-click on its Dock icon?

I use a keyboard-activated launcher. There's "namely" (free), "QuickSilver" (bloated) and "LaunchBar" (good). They all enable you to hit a key-combo, enter part of the app's name and hit enter to launch applications. Not quite what you ask for, but it's sure good for keyboard-centric people like you and myself. And no: Using the mouse to start System Prefs is not an option if you ask for keyboard shortcuts, MisterMe. ;)

Btw.: It's not permanent in the Dock like, say, the Finder. You can remove it, and many people do.

As far as I know, not really. However, you can just drag the needed icons to the Dock and then just click on it. I have Terminal, Sys Prefs, Disk Utility, and MIDI Setup on the Dock for quick access. I also have my Home folder and the Applications folder on the Dock as well (you can drag a folder alias to the right of the Dock's divider).

Lt Major Burns said:
crtl+f2 highlitghts the menu bar by defualt. from there just press down to open the apple menu.

Thanks

System Preferences is an application that has a permanent position in the Dock. Is it really that hard to click single-click on its Dock icon?

the reason is because I have a mouse that won't work and I need to check some things. I have a thread in Hardware...

I got to where I need to be, but can't figure out how to check the box and set access priveledges for remote desktop. A simple click of the space bar will check boxes in windows. I hate mac shortcuts.

jcombs_31 said:
A simple click of the space bar will check boxes in windows. I hate mac shortcuts.

Don't hate your Mac for this. It doesn't lack that feature! There is an option to select all elements of any dialog using the TAB key. Unfortunatly I am using german Mac OS X, so I don't exactly know the english terms. But I'll try:

System Preferences: Keyboard and Mouse
Section "Keyboard Shortcuts" (the most right)
At the bottom right select the lower Radio Button "All Elements" or something like this ("Alle Steuerungen" in german if you're interested in).

To toggle this setting just hit Control-F7, that's the way you can enable this when the mouse happens to be dead…

That way you get full Keyboard Access, navigate using TAB and check boxes using the Space Bar (as requested).

Enjoy full keyboard access and forget your mouse or trackpad!

BTW: when you are in the menubar or in some menu, you are able to select menu items by typing the first letters of the desired item!

Back